-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane
Sent: 08 October 2001 15:13
To: Dave Page
Cc: 'Jean-Michel POURE'; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org; Bruce
Momjian; pgadmin-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] [HACKERS] What about CREATE OR
REPLACE FUNC TION?

Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
... I can't find an up-to-date snapshot
Where have you looked? I checked a couple of FTP mirrors at
random and see up-to-date snapshots, eg at
ftp://ftp.us.postgresql.org/dev/
ftp://postgresql.wavefire.com/pub/dev/
ftp://postgresql.rmplc.co.uk/pub/postgresql/dev/
all of which have snapshots dated Sun Oct 7 08:02:00 2001 as I write.
I tried postgresql.rmplc.co.uk and got one (apparently) dated 7 Oct, however
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION didn't seem to be there (it certainly doesn't
work anyway - syntax error at OR). I then looked in the primary copy on
mail.postgresql.org and found the copy there was dated 30 Sept from which I
assumed that the 07/10/2001 date on rm's copy was actually a US date - that
site has been seriously out of date before.
and I don't know the
magic that has to be worked on the PostgreSQL CVS version of the
configure script in order to make it run without barfing.
News to me that it requires any magic at all; I use it almost daily without
problems. Why doesn't it work for you?

I've tried it a few times and I always get something like:

root@tux1:/usr/local/src/pgsql# ./configure
su: ./configure: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
root@tux1:/usr/local/src/pgsql# sh ./configure
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
'/configure: line 127: syntax error near unexpected token `do
'/configure: line 127: `do
root@tux1:/usr/local/src/pgsql#

I always assumed that something is done when the tarballs are built as the
work just fine on the same machine. The only odd thing I can think of is
that my copy of the source is maintained on my PC using WinCVS and was
zipped/ftp'd onto a test box.

Regards, Dave.

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Oct 8, 2001 at 3:43 pm

    Dave Page writes:
    ... I can't find an up-to-date snapshot
    I tried postgresql.rmplc.co.uk and got one (apparently) dated 7 Oct, however
    CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION didn't seem to be there (it certainly doesn't
    work anyway - syntax error at OR). I then looked in the primary copy on
    mail.postgresql.org and found the copy there was dated 30 Sept from which I
    assumed that the 07/10/2001 date on rm's copy was actually a US date - that
    site has been seriously out of date before.
    I just downloaded
    ftp://ftp.us.postgresql.org/dev/postgresql-snapshot.tar.gz
    which has a date of yesterday in the FTP archives, but actually
    contains a snapshot from around 15 September as near as I can tell.
    Looks like something is hosed in the snapshot preparation process;
    Marc, could you take a look at it?
    and I don't know the
    magic that has to be worked on the PostgreSQL CVS version of the
    configure script in order to make it run without barfing.
    I always assumed that something is done when the tarballs are built as the
    work just fine on the same machine.
    No, the tarballs should be the same as what you get from a CVS pull
    of the same date (other than not having a lot of /CVS subdirectories).
    In fact, they're made basically by tar'ing up a CVS checkout. Please
    try diffing configure from a tarball against one from CVS to see if you
    can figure out what's getting munged during your CVS pull.
    The only odd thing I can think of is
    that my copy of the source is maintained on my PC using WinCVS and was
    zipped/ftp'd onto a test box.
    LF vs CR/LF newlines leap to mind as a likely source of trouble...
    though I'm not sure why that would manifest in just this way...

    regards, tom lane
  • Marc G. Fournier at Oct 10, 2001 at 1:05 pm
    okay, daily snapshots are now being generated on the new server ... right
    now, all the mirror sites are stale while Vince does some finishing
    touches on the mirroring scripts/cgi's ... once he gerts that done, then,
    from my perspective, we'll be ready for beta ...

[...]

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedOct 8, '01 at 2:27p
activeOct 10, '01 at 1:05p