OK, I think we are on track for Monday beta. Marc, will you be
packaging a beta1 tarball on Monday or waiting a few days? I need to
run pgindent and pgjindent either right before or after beta starts.

Also, what are we doing with the toplevel /ChangeLogs. I never
understood the purpose of it, and I know others have similar questions.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000

  • Tom Lane at Sep 29, 2001 at 7:08 pm

    Bruce Momjian writes:
    OK, I think we are on track for Monday beta.
    One thing that I think absolutely *must* happen before we can go beta
    is to fix the documentation build process at hub.org. Until the online
    developer docs are up-to-date, how are beta testers going to know what
    to look at? (For that matter, what are the odds that the doc tarball
    generation process will succeed?)

    Personally I'd really like to see CVSWeb working again too...

    regards, tom lane
  • Vince Vielhaber at Sep 29, 2001 at 8:14 pm

    OK, I think we are on track for Monday beta.
    One thing that I think absolutely *must* happen before we can go beta
    is to fix the documentation build process at hub.org. Until the online
    developer docs are up-to-date, how are beta testers going to know what
    to look at? (For that matter, what are the odds that the doc tarball
    generation process will succeed?)

    Personally I'd really like to see CVSWeb working again too...
    So would I but it can't happen till Marc finishes some configuring
    I requested on the developers site.

    Vince.
    Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev@michvhf.com http://www.pop4.net
    Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
    Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com
  • Bruce Momjian at Sep 30, 2001 at 11:07 pm

    Bruce Momjian writes:
    OK, I think we are on track for Monday beta.
    One thing that I think absolutely *must* happen before we can go beta
    is to fix the documentation build process at hub.org. Until the online
    developer docs are up-to-date, how are beta testers going to know what
    to look at? (For that matter, what are the odds that the doc tarball
    generation process will succeed?)

    Personally I'd really like to see CVSWeb working again too...
    OK, are we ready for beta tomorrow, Monday? Are we building a tarball
    tomorrow? I need to pgindent before that. Also, what about /ChangeLog?
    Can I remove it?

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000
  • Tom Lane at Oct 1, 2001 at 12:14 am

    Bruce Momjian writes:
    OK, are we ready for beta tomorrow, Monday? Are we building a tarball
    tomorrow? I need to pgindent before that.
    Please hold off on the pgindent until I've done something about this
    hashtable alignment issue ... I'll try to get it done tonight.
    Also, what about /ChangeLog?
    Can I remove it?
    I vote for removing it; I don't see why we keep such files in CVS.

    regards, tom lane
  • Marc G. Fournier at Oct 1, 2001 at 2:45 pm
    we arent' ready to go beta ... I'll let you know when ...
    OK, I think we are on track for Monday beta.
    One thing that I think absolutely *must* happen before we can go beta
    is to fix the documentation build process at hub.org. Until the online
    developer docs are up-to-date, how are beta testers going to know what
    to look at? (For that matter, what are the odds that the doc tarball
    generation process will succeed?)

    Personally I'd really like to see CVSWeb working again too...
    OK, are we ready for beta tomorrow, Monday? Are we building a tarball
    tomorrow? I need to pgindent before that. Also, what about /ChangeLog?
    Can I remove it?

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000

    TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
  • Tom Lane at Oct 1, 2001 at 3:53 pm

    "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
    we arent' ready to go beta ... I'll let you know when ...
    I agree --- for one thing, we definitely have some bugs in the datetime
    pg_proc entries. Unless we want to go into beta with a known initdb
    yet to do, we've got to wait for Thomas to deal with those.

    regards, tom lane
  • Thomas Lockhart at Oct 1, 2001 at 6:36 pm

    I agree --- for one thing, we definitely have some bugs in the datetime
    pg_proc entries. Unless we want to go into beta with a known initdb
    yet to do, we've got to wait for Thomas to deal with those.
    I had a chance to work on timestamp features this weekend, and would
    like to apply patches which give us another step toward SQL99 compliance
    with support for specifying precision. As in

    select timestamp(2) with time zone '2001-09-30 04:06:06.78';

    This uses typmod to adjust precision when date/times are read or written
    to columns, as is done for other data types already. I did *not* alter
    the on-disk format for the types, but I think that the new support may
    be sufficient for compliance and has less overhead than trying to carry
    the precision with every instance of the type.

    I will also look at the remaining catalog issues (didn't get to email
    this weekend), but will not likely have time until this evening (Hawaii
    time :)

    I haven't figured out *where* the docs are supposed to go in the new
    scheme; none of the disk areas known to me on the new machines seem to
    have a documentation directory at all! Where is this stuff supposed to
    go? If things are going in different places, perhaps someone will have
    time to mention, in one message, where those places are and what the
    subdirectory scheme will look like?

    - Thomas
  • Bruce Momjian at Oct 1, 2001 at 6:54 pm

    I haven't figured out *where* the docs are supposed to go in the new
    scheme; none of the disk areas known to me on the new machines seem to
    have a documentation directory at all! Where is this stuff supposed to
    go? If things are going in different places, perhaps someone will have
    time to mention, in one message, where those places are and what the
    subdirectory scheme will look like?
    Not sure. Use my SGML/HTML copy at the bottom of the developers page.

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000
  • Marc G. Fournier at Oct 1, 2001 at 6:59 pm

[...]

    the only changes to directory schemes is:

    /var/spool/ftp/* for anon ftp
    /usr/local/www/www for web stuff

    directory structures under each should still be as they always were ...
  • Thomas Lockhart at Oct 1, 2001 at 8:11 pm
    the only changes to directory schemes is:
    /var/spool/ftp/* for anon ftp
    /usr/local/www/www for web stuff
    directory structures under each should still be as they always were ...
    But they aren't (or didn't seem to be). "find" couldn't find any
    instance of the docs, unpacked or otherwise.

    - Thomas
  • Lamar Owen at Oct 1, 2001 at 8:27 pm