Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:45:01 +1000 (EST)
From: Grant <grant@conprojan.com.au>
To: peter@retep.org.uk
Subject: vacuumlo.

G'day,

I've recently discovered that LO's do not get deleted when a record
referencing that OID is removed. I'm assuming you created the program and
do you think it is possible to get this included as an argument for
vacuumdb?

vacuumdb -o <db>

Or something along those lines so scanning for orphan large objects could
be done from the main vacuum binary?

What do you think?

Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Jul 31, 2001 at 1:29 am

    Grant writes:
    Is it possible to get [vacuumlo] included in the main vacuumdb program for
    support to vacuum orphaned large objects?
    Hmm. I'm not convinced that vacuumlo is ready for prime time...
    in particular, how safe is it in the presence of concurrent
    transactions that might be adding or removing LOs?

    regards, tom lane
  • Grant at Jul 31, 2001 at 1:52 am

    Is it possible to get [vacuumlo] included in the main vacuumdb program for
    support to vacuum orphaned large objects?
    Hmm. I'm not convinced that vacuumlo is ready for prime time...
    in particular, how safe is it in the presence of concurrent
    transactions that might be adding or removing LOs?
    I see large objects for each database are stored in pg_largeobject referenced
    by the loid. So when I delete a file from a table containing an oid type I have
    to make sure to delete the matching row(s) from pg_largeobject.

    Can you see a scenario where a programmer would forget to delete the data from
    pg_largeobject and the database becoming very large filled with orphaned large
    objects? Or am I on the wrong track?
  • Tom Lane at Jul 31, 2001 at 2:21 am

    Grant writes:
    Can you see a scenario where a programmer would forget to delete the
    data from pg_largeobject and the database becoming very large filled
    with orphaned large objects?
    Sure. My point wasn't that the functionality isn't needed, it's that
    I'm not sure vacuumlo does it well enough to be ready to promote to
    the status of mainstream code. It needs more review and testing before
    we can move it out of /contrib.

    regards, tom lane
  • Hiroshi Inoue at Jul 31, 2001 at 4:14 am

    Tom Lane wrote:

    Grant <grant@conprojan.com.au> writes:
    Can you see a scenario where a programmer would forget to delete the
    data from pg_largeobject and the database becoming very large filled
    with orphaned large objects?
    Sure. My point wasn't that the functionality isn't needed, it's that
    I'm not sure vacuumlo does it well enough to be ready to promote to
    the status of mainstream code. It needs more review and testing before
    we can move it out of /contrib.
    IIRC vacuumlo doesn't take the type lo(see contrib/lo) into
    account. I'm suspicious if vacuumlo is reliable.

    regards,
    Hiroshi Inoue
  • Grant at Jul 31, 2001 at 4:25 am

    Can you see a scenario where a programmer would forget to delete the
    data from pg_largeobject and the database becoming very large filled
    with orphaned large objects?
    Sure. My point wasn't that the functionality isn't needed, it's that
    I'm not sure vacuumlo does it well enough to be ready to promote to
    the status of mainstream code. It needs more review and testing before
    we can move it out of /contrib.
    IIRC vacuumlo doesn't take the type lo(see contrib/lo) into
    account. I'm suspicious if vacuumlo is reliable.
    This was my round about way of asking if something to combat this issue
    can be placed in the to do list. :)

    Thanks.
  • Bruce Momjian at Jul 31, 2001 at 1:21 pm

    Can you see a scenario where a programmer would forget to delete the
    data from pg_largeobject and the database becoming very large filled
    with orphaned large objects?
    Sure. My point wasn't that the functionality isn't needed, it's that
    I'm not sure vacuumlo does it well enough to be ready to promote to
    the status of mainstream code. It needs more review and testing before
    we can move it out of /contrib.
    IIRC vacuumlo doesn't take the type lo(see contrib/lo) into
    account. I'm suspicious if vacuumlo is reliable.
    This was my round about way of asking if something to combat this issue
    can be placed in the to do list. :)
    Added to TODO:

    * Improve vacuum of large objects (/contrib/vacuumlo)

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000

    Bruce Momjian wrote:
    Can you see a scenario where a programmer would forget to delete the
    data from pg_largeobject and the database becoming very large filled
    with orphaned large objects?
    Sure. My point wasn't that the functionality isn't needed, it's that
    I'm not sure vacuumlo does it well enough to be ready to promote to
    the status of mainstream code. It needs more review and testing before
    we can move it out of /contrib.
    IIRC vacuumlo doesn't take the type lo(see contrib/lo) into
    account. I'm suspicious if vacuumlo is reliable.
    This was my round about way of asking if something to combat this issue
    can be placed in the to do list. :)
    Added to TODO:

    * Improve vacuum of large objects (/contrib/vacuumlo)
    Is it possible for vacuumlo to be moved out of /contrib ?
    As far as I see, there's no perfect solution for vacuumlo.

    regards,
    Hiroshi Inoue
  • Bruce Momjian at Aug 1, 2001 at 1:25 am

    IIRC vacuumlo doesn't take the type lo(see contrib/lo) into
    account. I'm suspicious if vacuumlo is reliable.
    This was my round about way of asking if something to combat this issue
    can be placed in the to do list. :)
    Added to TODO:

    * Improve vacuum of large objects (/contrib/vacuumlo)
    Is it possible for vacuumlo to be moved out of /contrib ?
    As far as I see, there's no perfect solution for vacuumlo.
    Not sure myself. Let's see what others say.

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000

grouppgsql-hackers @