Has anyone here thought about using the spread libraries for WAL
replication amongst mutliple hosts? With this library I think it'd be
possible to have a multi-master replication system...

http://www.spread.org/

I'm not familiar enough with the guts of postgres to be able to
impliment this (yet), but thought that it might be something for someone
else to look into. At the very least, check out the libs, they're very
impressive and I've had good luck with them in the past. If push comes
to shove, in a few months I may write a few ruby+spread utils to do
this, but we'll see... -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Search Discussions

  • Darren Johnson at Jul 23, 2001 at 1:06 pm

    Sean Chittenden wrote:

    Has anyone here thought about using the spread libraries for WAL
    replication amongst mutliple hosts? With this library I think it'd be
    possible to have a multi-master replication system..
    Yes, there is some work being done to use Spread as the group
    communication system
    for Postgres-R, but we are just getting started with this software.
    Using a group
    communication system to establish total order messages is one of the
    basic principles for
    synchronous multi-master replication with Postgres-R. Currently
    Ensemble (form Cornell
    University) is used, but Spread looks to be more robust and it appears
    to be supported
    on most if not all of the PostgreSQL supported platforms.

    It's very cool to see positive testimony for Spread, and I hope I will
    feel the same way
    as I become more familiar with it.

    Darren

  • Sean Chittenden at Jul 21, 2001 at 5:12 am
    Howdy. Darren, I'd reply in person, but there are issues with
    your mail account. ;~) At anyrate, is there a mailing list that the
    Postgres-R development is happening on so that I could drop in and
    either listen/contribute? Thanks. -sc

    <djohnson@greatbridge.org>:
    63.136.234.38 does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 550 <djohnson@greatbridge.org>... User unknown
    Giving up on 63.136.234.38.

    Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 22:09:21 -0700
    From: Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
    To: Darren Johnson <djohnson@greatbridge.org>
    Subject: Re: [HACKERS] IDEA: Multi-master replication possible through
    spread
    +(or even master-slave)...
    +on Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at = 01:01:58AM

    Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 01:01:58 -0400
    From: Darren Johnson <djohnson@greatbridge.org>
    To: Sean Chittenden <sean-pgsql-hackers@chittenden.org>
    CC: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
    Subject: Re: [HACKERS] IDEA: Multi-master replication possible through spread (or even master-slave)...

    Sean Chittenden wrote:
[...]

  • Darren Johnson at Jul 21, 2001 at 6:02 am

    It's not only for Postgres-R, but any PostgreSQL
    replication ideas, discussions, or projects.
    Feel free to listen or contribute.

    Darren

    BTW: My apologies for the email issues. Should be fixed now.

    Sean Chittenden wrote:
    Howdy. Darren, I'd reply in person, but there are issues with
    your mail account. ;~) At anyrate, is there a mailing list that the
    Postgres-R development is happening on so that I could drop in and
    either listen/contribute? Thanks. -sc

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedJul 21, '01 at 3:32a