What do other DBs do with their output variables if there is an embedded SQL
query resulting in a NULL return value? What I mean is:

exec sql select text into :txt:ind from ...

If text is NULL, ind will be set, but does txt change?

I was just told Informix blanks txt.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De

Search Discussions

  • Christof Petig at Oct 26, 2000 at 11:51 am

    Michael Meskes wrote:

    What do other DBs do with their output variables if there is an embedded SQL
    query resulting in a NULL return value? What I mean is:

    exec sql select text into :txt:ind from ...

    If text is NULL, ind will be set, but does txt change?

    I was just told Informix blanks txt.
    Adabas D does not touch txt.
    So you might set txt to a reasonable value in case of NULL, or hold the value
    in txt of a previous sql statement. On the other hand if you forget to
    initialize txt, Informix protects you from yourself.

    At least the standard (sql94-bindings-3 clause 7.1) does not mention to change
    the value of the variable in null case. Looks like undefined.

    I'm undecided. Not touching it looks more right to me but it might break
    existing applications.

    Christof

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedOct 21, '00 at 4:40p
activeOct 26, '00 at 11:51a
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Christof Petig: 1 post Michael Meskes: 1 post