I've just been asked how to store unicode text in a postgresql database. The
problem as I understand it is that unicode strings may contain binary 0s
which might break string handling. Since I never tried, I think it's better
to ask here before answering that question.

The application uses ecpg so it's not only a backend question.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De

Search Discussions

  • T-ishii at Aug 30, 2000 at 11:37 pm

    I've just been asked how to store unicode text in a postgresql database. The
    problem as I understand it is that unicode strings may contain binary 0s
    which might break string handling. Since I never tried, I think it's better
    to ask here before answering that question.
    I guess you are talking about UCS encoding. There is another encoding
    for Unicode, called UTF-8. It does not 0s, so you could use it with
    PostgreSQL. Actually we have some unicode(utf-8) regression tests in
    src/test/mb and they seem working.
    The application uses ecpg so it's not only a backend question.
    I guess ecpg is ok as long as using UTF-8.
    --
    Tatsuo Ishii

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql