I would think this should echo *two* "INSERT <oid> 1" messages, instead
of just 1.

% createdb viewsdb
CREATE DATABASE
% psql -d viewsdb -c "create table foo(i integer); create table bar(j
integer);"
CREATE
% psql -d viewsdb -c "insert into foo(i) values (1); insert into foo(i)
values (2);"
INSERT 9968065 1
% psql -d viewsdb -c "select * from foo;"
---
1
2
(2 rows)

% psql -d viewsdb -c "select oid from foo;"
oid
---------
9968064
9968065
(2 rows)

Search Discussions

  • Bruce Momjian at Jun 8, 2000 at 4:42 pm

[...]

    The query is sent as one string, and only one return is sent back. It
    has always been that way.

    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000
  • Peter Eisentraut at Jun 8, 2000 at 5:03 pm

    Bruce Momjian writes:

    % psql -d viewsdb -c "insert into foo(i) values (1); insert into foo(i)
    values (2);"
    INSERT 9968065 1
    The query is sent as one string, and only one return is sent back. It
    has always been that way.
    Which can be construed as a semi-feature because that's the only way to
    get unencumbered strings from psql to the backend.

    --
    Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
    peter_e@gmx.net 75262 Uppsala

    Bruce Momjian wrote:
    I would think this should echo *two* "INSERT <oid> 1" messages, instead
    of just 1.

    % psql -d viewsdb -c "insert into foo(i) values (1); insert into foo(i)
    values (2);"
    INSERT 9968065 1
    The query is sent as one string, and only one return is sent back. It
    has always been that way.
    That's unintuitive and inconsistent behavior, albeit largely
    inconsequential, when compared with the same line in a script...

    % psql -d vtdb
    vtdb=# INSERT INTO foo(i) values (13); INSERT INTO foo(i) values (13);
    INSERT 9971328 1
    INSERT 9971329 1

    Regards,
    Ed Loehr