Hi.
I propose new feature.
Before flushing page of table to disk it may be scanned to reclaim
deleted rows. And assigned as partially vacuumed or vacuumed.
It may reduce bloat in frequently updated tables and make normal
(auto)vacuum faster.
Additional scan adds overhead to cpu (for update/delete), but seq scan
will be faster and disk io usage will be lower.
I don't know what is happen when a index entry points to reclaimed row.

--
------------
pasman

Search Discussions

  • Radosław Smogura at Feb 6, 2011 at 3:20 pm
    I prefer on demand solution, as it reduces latency and I can order vaccum at
    night, when I have free CPU resources. At least auto vaccum on flush should be
    configurable.

    Kind regards,
    Radek

    pasman pasmański <pasman.p@gmail.com> Saturday 05 February 2011 04:29:37
    Hi.
    I propose new feature.
    Before flushing page of table to disk it may be scanned to reclaim
    deleted rows. And assigned as partially vacuumed or vacuumed.
    It may reduce bloat in frequently updated tables and make normal
    (auto)vacuum faster.
    Additional scan adds overhead to cpu (for update/delete), but seq scan
    will be faster and disk io usage will be lower.
    I don't know what is happen when a index entry points to reclaimed row.

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 5, '11 at 3:29a
activeFeb 6, '11 at 3:20p