Hello all,

I'm experiencing a weird issue where my postgresql is creating strange files
(all with the same size ~200MB) under /var/lib/pgsql. The filenames are like
"?" and "?default". Anyone knows if it's safe to remove those? because they
are eating my disk space on the /var partition.

Version: PostgreSQL 7.4.16 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc
(GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-3)

Any advices would be really appreciated.

*

Juan Sueiro*

Search Discussions

  • Peter Geoghegan at Oct 7, 2010 at 2:07 pm

    On 7 October 2010 14:45, Juan Sueiro wrote:
    Any advices would be really appreciated.
    You should upgrade to a version of Postgres that is currently
    supported right away.

    --
    Regards,
    Peter Geoghegan
  • Tom Lane at Oct 7, 2010 at 2:17 pm

    Juan Sueiro writes:
    I'm experiencing a weird issue where my postgresql is creating strange files
    (all with the same size ~200MB) under /var/lib/pgsql. The filenames are like
    "?" and "?default".
    Please be a little more explicit about what the filenames are, and where
    they are. I presume there are not only two of them.

    regards, tom lane
  • Juan Sueiro at Oct 7, 2010 at 2:29 pm
    Tom,

    Files are located under /var/lib/pgsql:

    4 files with filename: "?"
    1 file with filename: "??"
    1 file with filename: "?default"
    1 file with filename: "HELP?"
    1 file with filename: "TNMP?"

    Regards,
    On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

    Juan Sueiro <jmsueiro@gmail.com> writes:
    I'm experiencing a weird issue where my postgresql is creating strange files
    (all with the same size ~200MB) under /var/lib/pgsql. The filenames are like
    "?" and "?default".
    Please be a little more explicit about what the filenames are, and where
    they are. I presume there are not only two of them.

    regards, tom lane
  • Craig Ringer at Oct 8, 2010 at 3:03 am

    On 7/10/2010 10:28 PM, Juan Sueiro wrote:
    Tom,

    Files are located under /var/lib/pgsql:

    4 files with filename: "?"
    Where? They can't be in /var/lib/pgsql if there are four of them, so
    they must be in subdirectories, right? Which ones?
    1 file with filename: "??"
    1 file with filename: "?default"
    1 file with filename: "HELP?"
    1 file with filename: "TNMP?"
    To be more specific, it might be worth running:

    find /var/lib/pgsql -ls

    and copying out the lines of interest, rather than posting just the file
    names with no permisisons/ownership/location information.



    --
    Craig Ringer

    Tech-related writing at http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/
  • Scott Ribe at Oct 8, 2010 at 12:14 pm

    On Oct 7, 2010, at 9:02 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

    Where? They can't be in /var/lib/pgsql if there are four of them, so they must be in subdirectories, right? Which ones?
    Or they're created with odd characters which the user's shell/terminal/UI cannot display.

    --
    Scott Ribe
    scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com
    http://www.elevated-dev.com/
    (303) 722-0567 voice
  • Merlin Moncure at Oct 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm

    On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Juan Sueiro wrote:
    Hello all,
    I'm experiencing a weird issue where my postgresql is creating strange files
    (all with the same size ~200MB) under /var/lib/pgsql. The filenames are like
    "?" and "?default". Anyone knows if it's safe to remove those? because they
    are eating my disk space on the /var partition.
    Version: PostgreSQL 7.4.16 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc
    (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-3)
    Any advices would be really appreciated.
    are you 100% sure the database made them? What's the unix mode/owner/etc?

    merlin
  • Juan Sueiro at Oct 7, 2010 at 3:02 pm
    Merlin,
    I'm not sure about the unix mode/owner, the server is:

    Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)
    Linux linuxbox 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 17:03:35 EDT 2007 i686 i686
    i386 GNU/Linux

    Currently there are no other server applications/software running there. I
    thought that maybe the postgresql could be creating the files because of the
    specific /var/lib/pgsql path.

    Regards,

    *

    Juan Sueiro | *(54911) 5663 9439


    On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
    On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Juan Sueiro wrote:
    Hello all,
    I'm experiencing a weird issue where my postgresql is creating strange files
    (all with the same size ~200MB) under /var/lib/pgsql. The filenames are like
    "?" and "?default". Anyone knows if it's safe to remove those? because they
    are eating my disk space on the /var partition.
    Version: PostgreSQL 7.4.16 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc
    (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-3)
    Any advices would be really appreciated.
    are you 100% sure the database made them? What's the unix mode/owner/etc?

    merlin
  • Tom Lane at Oct 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm

    Juan Sueiro writes:
    I'm not sure about the unix mode/owner, the server is:
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)
    Linux linuxbox 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 17:03:35 EDT 2007 i686 i686
    i386 GNU/Linux
    Currently there are no other server applications/software running there. I
    thought that maybe the postgresql could be creating the files because of the
    specific /var/lib/pgsql path.
    FWIW, I've never seen or heard of such a behavior before. I suspect
    that the files are being made by some add-on code --- have you got any
    custom C code, third-party modules, etc?

    regards, tom lane

    PS: BTW, running a three-year-old Red Hat release without any of the
    subsequent updates doesn't seem like the sanest approach to system
    administration. According to my changelogs, Red Hat shipped 7.4.16
    for only about two months in the spring of 2007, and you're clearly
    running an ancient kernel as well.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql
postedOct 7, '10 at 1:46p
activeOct 8, '10 at 12:14p
posts9
users6
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase