It seems like pg_stat_activity truncates the current_query to about 1024 characters.

The field is a text, so i'm wondering if there is a way to see the full query?

(I know i can turn on log_statement=all, or log_min_duration_statement) but i'd like
something that doesn't require a restart.

Thanks

Dave

Search Discussions

  • Magnus Hagander at Feb 9, 2010 at 10:09 am

    It seems like pg_stat_activity truncates the current_query to about 1024 characters.

    The field is a text, so i'm wondering if there is a way to see the full query?

    (I know i can turn on log_statement=all, or log_min_duration_statement) but i'd like
    something that doesn't require a restart.
    The data isn't being tracked, so there is no way to show it. The
    length of the query tracked can be found in the parameter
    track_activity_query_size. Note that increasing that will obviously
    increase the overhead of collecting it.
  • David Kerr at Feb 9, 2010 at 4:05 pm

    Magnus Hagander wrote:
    It seems like pg_stat_activity truncates the current_query to about 1024 characters.

    The field is a text, so i'm wondering if there is a way to see the full query?

    (I know i can turn on log_statement=all, or log_min_duration_statement) but i'd like
    something that doesn't require a restart.
    The data isn't being tracked, so there is no way to show it. The
    length of the query tracked can be found in the parameter
    track_activity_query_size. Note that increasing that will obviously
    increase the overhead of collecting it.
    That's documented in 8.4, does anyone know if it's available in 8.3?

    Thanks

    Dave
  • Guillaume Lelarge at Feb 9, 2010 at 10:39 pm

    It seems like pg_stat_activity truncates the current_query to about
    1024 characters.

    The field is a text, so i'm wondering if there is a way to see the
    full query?

    (I know i can turn on log_statement=all, or
    log_min_duration_statement) but i'd like
    something that doesn't require a restart.
    The data isn't being tracked, so there is no way to show it. The
    length of the query tracked can be found in the parameter
    track_activity_query_size. Note that increasing that will obviously
    increase the overhead of collecting it.
    That's documented in 8.4, does anyone know if it's available in 8.3?
    No, it's a new feature of 8.4.
  • Scott Marlowe at Feb 9, 2010 at 5:27 pm

    It seems like pg_stat_activity truncates the current_query to about 1024 characters.

    The field is a text, so i'm wondering if there is a way to see the full query?

    (I know i can turn on log_statement=all, or log_min_duration_statement) but i'd like
    something that doesn't require a restart.
    FYI, log_statement doesn't require a restart, just a reload. In fact
    you can turn it on for just one db or user if you want with alter
    database / alter user.

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 9, '10 at 12:46a