Hi All,

I installed postgres from the enterprisedb-maintained one-click
installer at http://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx.

However, it starts automatically when the machine boots up, and I'd like
it only to start when I manually start it.

I've found an entry in launchd:

$ sudo launchctl list | grep post
com.edb.launchd.postgresql-8.4

...but I can't find where this comes from:

$ sudo find / -name com.edb.launchd.postgresql-8.4
$

Where do I find this entry to disable it?
(and, perhaps showing my Mac-ignorance, is there a GUI for launchd
configuration that I'm somehow missing?)

cheers,

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Search Discussions

  • Naoko Reeves at Jan 4, 2010 at 11:58 am
    Try check this directory: Library: StartupItems: postgres-plus-8.xx
    there should be script to start automatically.
    I installed postgres from the enterprisedb-maintained one-click installer at
    http://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx.

    However, it starts automatically when the machine boots up, and I'd like it
    only to start when I manually start it.

    I've found an entry in launchd:

    $ sudo launchctl list | grep post
    com.edb.launchd.postgresql-8.4

    ...but I can't find where this comes from:

    $ sudo find / -name com.edb.launchd.postgresql-8.4
    $

    Where do I find this entry to disable it?
    (and, perhaps showing my Mac-ignorance, is there a GUI for launchd
    configuration that I'm somehow missing?)

    cheers,

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

    Sincerely,
    Naoko Reeves
  • Chris Withers at Jan 4, 2010 at 1:38 pm

    Naoko Reeves wrote:
    Try check this directory: Library: StartupItems: postgres-plus-8.xx
    there should be script to start automatically.
    /Library/StartupItems is empty.

    I think putting stuff in there is an old-fashioned way of doing things
    that went out with Mac OS X 10.4, and I'm glad to say it looks like the
    latest postgres doesn't install like this..

    ...however, that still leaves me back at square 1 with respect to
    disabling the auto-startup of postgres.

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk
  • Dave Page at Jan 4, 2010 at 1:40 pm

    Try check this directory: Library: StartupItems: postgres-plus-8.xx
    there should be script to start automatically.
    /Library/StartupItems is empty.

    I think putting stuff in there is an old-fashioned way of doing things that
    went out with Mac OS X 10.4, and I'm glad to say it looks like the latest
    postgres doesn't install like this..
    Look in /Library/LaunchDaemons/

    --
    Dave Page
  • Chris Withers at Jan 4, 2010 at 1:41 pm

    Dave Page wrote:
    Try check this directory: Library: StartupItems: postgres-plus-8.xx
    there should be script to start automatically.
    /Library/StartupItems is empty.

    I think putting stuff in there is an old-fashioned way of doing things that
    went out with Mac OS X 10.4, and I'm glad to say it looks like the latest
    postgres doesn't install like this..
    Look in /Library/LaunchDaemons/
    Ah, there it is... but now what do I do with it to disable the auto-start?

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk
  • Dave Page at Jan 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

    Try check this directory: Library: StartupItems: postgres-plus-8.xx
    there should be script to start automatically.
    /Library/StartupItems is empty.

    I think putting stuff in there is an old-fashioned way of doing things
    that
    went out with Mac OS X 10.4, and I'm glad to say it looks like the latest
    postgres doesn't install like this..
    Look in /Library/LaunchDaemons/
    Ah, there it is... but now what do I do with it to disable the auto-start?
    Iirc, you have to change:

    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>

    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <false/>

    Sachin; can you confirm please?

    --
    Dave Page
  • Chris Withers at Jan 4, 2010 at 2:32 pm

    Dave Page wrote:
    Iirc, you have to change:

    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>

    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <false/>
    I feel slightly stupid asking this, but this is a Mac, surely there's
    some pretty shiny GUI for editing things like this?
    (even Windows has the "Services" stuff in Control Panel)

    What am I missing?

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk
  • Dave Page at Jan 4, 2010 at 2:33 pm

    I feel slightly stupid asking this, but this is a Mac, surely there's some
    pretty shiny GUI for editing things like this?
    (even Windows has the "Services" stuff in Control Panel)

    What am I missing?
    If there is, I never found it.

    --
    Dave Page
  • John DeSoi at Jan 4, 2010 at 6:29 pm

    I feel slightly stupid asking this, but this is a Mac, surely there's some pretty shiny GUI for editing things like this?
    (even Windows has the "Services" stuff in Control Panel)

    What am I missing?
    I've used this in the past but it looks like support was dropped a few months ago. Hopefully some one else will pick it up.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/lingon/

    John DeSoi, Ph.D.
  • Sachin Srivastava at Jan 4, 2010 at 2:36 pm

    Try check this directory: Library: StartupItems: postgres-plus-8.xx
    there should be script to start automatically.
    /Library/StartupItems is empty.

    I think putting stuff in there is an old-fashioned way of doing things
    that
    went out with Mac OS X 10.4, and I'm glad to say it looks like the latest
    postgres doesn't install like this..
    Look in /Library/LaunchDaemons/
    Ah, there it is... but now what do I do with it to disable the auto-start?
    Iirc, you have to change:

    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>

    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <false/>

    Sachin; can you confirm please?
    Yes. Though the daemon is loaded during startup.
    and you can start it by using launchctl as ( sudo launchctl start
    com.edb.launchd. postgresql-8.4).
    Also you can always move/delete the plist file to avoid that also.

    Sachin Srivastava
    EnterpriseDB <http://www.enterprisedb.com>, the Enterprise Postgres
    <http://www.enterprisedb.com> company.
  • Chris Withers at Jan 4, 2010 at 2:37 pm

    Sachin Srivastava wrote:
    Iirc, you have to change:

    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>

    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <false/>

    Sachin; can you confirm please?
    Yes. Though the daemon is loaded during startup.
    Will setting RunAtLoad to false not stop that?

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk
  • Sachin Srivastava at Jan 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm

    Yes. Though the daemon is loaded during startup.
    Will setting RunAtLoad to false not stop that?
    RunAtLoad = false means, the daemon is loaded not executed/launched. If
    you dont want it to load at system startup. Remove the plist from that
    directory. (i.e. /Library/LaunchDaemons)
    Chris

    Sachin Srivastava
    EnterpriseDB <http://www.enterprisedb.com>, the Enterprise Postgres
    <http://www.enterprisedb.com> company.
  • Chris Withers at Jan 4, 2010 at 2:45 pm

    Sachin Srivastava wrote:
    Will setting RunAtLoad to false not stop that?
    RunAtLoad = false means, the daemon is loaded not executed/launched. If
    you dont want it to load at system startup. Remove the plist from that
    directory. (i.e. /Library/LaunchDaemons)
    I don't want postgres to start on machine start, but I do want it to
    start when I click the "start server" icon in the Postgres application
    folder.

    If I delete this plist, will that still work?

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk
  • Scott Ribe at Jan 5, 2010 at 4:49 pm
    Ah, there it is... but now what do I do with it to disable the auto-start?
    sudo launchctl unload -w blahblahblah.plist

    The -w option causes it to not only unload the item, but also write a
    <disabled> key into it which will stop it from loading at launch.

    --
    Scott Ribe
    scott_ribe@killerbytes.com

grouppgsql-general @