Hello,
We're migrating to Greenplum, and in our currently portfolio we base everything on views.
In our prior system, we could alter tables and then refresh the views, but in PG/greenplum most alters are blocked because of the dependent objects.

I understand that I can walk the pg_depends table to see the linkages, but what I really want to know
Is there a way to change the system behavior so that ALTERs are allowed, perhaps invalidating dependent objects

Short of this, is there a recommended framework/functions for spooling off the dependent objects, performing the alter and then recreating all of the dependent objects?

Thanks in advance.
Doug Little
Sr. Data Warehouse Architect | Enterprise Data Management | Orbitz Worldwide
Douglas.Little@orbitz.com

[cid:image002.jpg@01CA459B.F991A680] orbitz.com<http://www.orbitz.com/> | ebookers.com<http://www.ebookers.com/> | hotelclub.com<http://www.hotelclub.com/> | cheaptickets.com<http://www.cheaptickets.com/> | ratestogo.com<http://www.ratestogo.com/> | asiahotels.com<http://www.asiahotels.com/>

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql
postedOct 5, '09 at 2:12p
activeOct 5, '09 at 2:12p