Hi List,

I tried already in the ODBC list, but without success...

I have to develop a client/server application, heavily transaction oriented, that will serve around 100 users and database traffic will be intense (lot's of reads, updates, inserts....).
Development environment is Delphi 2007. I know there are a few commercial components available, but I was wondering if ODBC could do the job ?
So, my question is, if ODBC is intended to be used for that ? Many simultanous connections, lots of inserts, updates ?
The thing you always hear about ODBC is, that it is very slow ?

Many thanks in advance,
Best regards,

Nico Callewaert

Search Discussions

  • Andy Colson at Sep 25, 2009 at 3:23 pm

    Nico Callewaert wrote:
    Hi List,

    I tried already in the ODBC list, but without success...

    I have to develop a client/server application, heavily transaction
    oriented, that will serve around 100 users and database traffic will be
    intense (lot's of reads, updates, inserts....).
    Development environment is Delphi 2007. I know there are a few
    commercial components available, but I was wondering if ODBC could do
    the job ?
    So, my question is, if ODBC is intended to be used for that ? Many
    simultanous connections, lots of inserts, updates ?
    The thing you always hear about ODBC is, that it is very slow ?

    Many thanks in advance,
    Best regards,

    Nico Callewaert
    I don't know about odbc, never used it to hit PG. I use Delphi and
    wrote a simple object on top of the libpq api. The api is simple to
    use. If odbc doesn't work out for you I'd recommend using libpq direct.

    -Andy
  • Nico Callewaert at Sep 28, 2009 at 6:54 am
    Thank you to all for the interesting replies !

    Best regards,
    N.
  • Mark Morgan Lloyd at Sep 29, 2009 at 12:27 pm

    Andy Colson wrote:
    Nico Callewaert wrote:
[...]

    I have using an older Delphi (v3), ODBC itself I believe was fine but
    the BDE layer introduced problems- apps needed to be rebooted evey month
    or so.

    Note that ODBC doesn't easily support any non-standard facilities, e.g.
    listen/notify.

    --
    Mark Morgan Lloyd
    markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

  • Merlin Moncure at Sep 29, 2009 at 12:40 pm

[...]

    The BDE was terrible, as were the native drives that Borland provided
    with Delphi (Paradox, etc). 3rd party drives (Zeos) eventually
    arrived to fix the problem but by that point Delphi had lost the war
    with Visual Basic. That's really tragic, because even early versions
    of Delphi/c++ builder are STILL the best win32 development tools out
    there in many ways...especially designing interfaces.

    merlin
  • Raymond O'Donnell at Sep 29, 2009 at 12:48 pm

    The BDE was terrible, as were the native drives that Borland provided
    with Delphi (Paradox, etc). 3rd party drives (Zeos) eventually
    arrived to fix the problem but by that point Delphi had lost the war
    with Visual Basic. That's really tragic, because even early versions
    of Delphi/c++ builder are STILL the best win32 development tools out
    there in many ways...especially designing interfaces.
    I fully agree.... I still use Delphi 6 a lot, and there's an ease of use
    about it that leaves other IDEs I've used in the shade. It's just a pity
    that it's so expensive....

    Ray.

    rod@iol.ie
  • Mark Morgan Lloyd at Sep 30, 2009 at 8:31 am

    Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

    I fully agree.... I still use Delphi 6 a lot, and there's an ease of use
    about it that leaves other IDEs I've used in the shade. It's just a pity
    that it's so expensive....

    Ray.

    rod@iol.ie
    I trust you've investigated Lazarus?

    --
    Mark Morgan Lloyd
    markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

  • John R Pierce at Sep 25, 2009 at 4:40 pm

    Nico Callewaert wrote:
    Hi List,

    I tried already in the ODBC list, but without success...

    I have to develop a client/server application, heavily transaction
    oriented, that will serve around 100 users and database traffic will
    be intense (lot's of reads, updates, inserts....).
    Development environment is Delphi 2007. I know there are a few
    commercial components available, but I was wondering if ODBC could do
    the job ?
    So, my question is, if ODBC is intended to be used for that ? Many
    simultanous connections, lots of inserts, updates ?
    The thing you always hear about ODBC is, that it is very slow ?

    ADO is significantly faster than ODBC, so the preferred stack would be
    delphi -> ado -> postgres ole db -> libpq ->postgres

    I believe there exists a delphi->ado wrapper (at least my brief googling
    popped one up)
  • Richard Broersma at Sep 28, 2009 at 2:32 pm

    ADO is significantly faster than ODBC, so the preferred stack would be
    delphi -> ado -> postgres ole db -> libpq ->postgres
    Is the oledb driver stable? Its never development status has never
    changed from Beta over the last few years.
    http://pgfoundry.org/projects/oledb/

    Richard Broersma Jr.

    http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug
  • Mark Morgan Lloyd at Sep 30, 2009 at 8:42 am

    John R Pierce wrote:
    Nico Callewaert wrote:
    The thing you always hear about ODBC is, that it is very slow ?

    ADO is significantly faster than ODBC, so the preferred stack would be
    delphi -> ado -> postgres ole db -> libpq ->postgres

    I believe there exists a delphi->ado wrapper (at least my brief googling
    popped one up)
    Granted that this is a general query issue rather than one specific to
    Delphi/ODBC etc., but the major speed problem that I see is where I have
    a clause approximately like

    WHERE now() - datetime <= '24 hours'

    repeated several times in a query (e.g. in subselects or views). The
    easiest solution is to replace this with a function returning an
    timestamp which is evaluated once during query execution.

    The moral of the story is that even if your queries are wrapped in a
    fancy program generated by something like Delphi, always leave yourself
    a way that you can extract a representative query after any
    parameterisation and do an EXPLAIN to look for inefficiencies.

    --
    Mark Morgan Lloyd
    markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

  • Merlin Moncure at Sep 25, 2009 at 5:37 pm

    I tried already in the ODBC list, but without success...

    I have to develop a client/server application, heavily transaction
    oriented, that will serve around 100 users and database traffic will be
    intense (lot's of reads, updates, inserts....).
    Development environment is Delphi 2007.  I know there are a few commercial
    components available, but I was wondering if ODBC could do the job ?
    So, my question is, if ODBC is intended to be used for that ?  Many
    simultanous connections, lots of inserts, updates ?
    The thing you always hear about ODBC is, that it is very slow ?
    It's been a few years, but historically the best delphi components for
    database access has been ZeosLib...native connections to most popular
    databases...

    merlin

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql