Is there a default/standard (free) schema diff tool that's in use in the
community?

I'd like to be able to quickly identify new columns, data changes, new
indexes, etc between 2 schema versions.

(and then create an alter script for the original)

We're using ERWin as our modeling tool, but it's diff's stink.

Thanks

Dave

Search Discussions

  • Boyd, Craig at Aug 21, 2009 at 6:55 pm
    What version of ERwin are you using?

    Thanks,
    Craig Boyd

    David Kerr wrote:
    Is there a default/standard (free) schema diff tool that's in use in
    the community?

    I'd like to be able to quickly identify new columns, data changes, new
    indexes, etc between 2 schema versions.

    (and then create an alter script for the original)

    We're using ERWin as our modeling tool, but it's diff's stink.

    Thanks

    Dave
  • David Kerr at Aug 21, 2009 at 6:54 pm
    we're on v7.2.8

    there's no pg specific option so we've been using ODBC as the "database"
    type and the alter's it generates are just ugly.

    Dave

    David Kerr wrote:
    Is there a default/standard (free) schema diff tool that's in use in
    the community?

    I'd like to be able to quickly identify new columns, data changes, new
    indexes, etc between 2 schema versions.

    (and then create an alter script for the original)

    We're using ERWin as our modeling tool, but it's diff's stink.

    Thanks

    Dave
  • Boyd, Craig at Aug 21, 2009 at 7:01 pm
    We are on 7.3.0.1666.

    ODBC alter scripts do tend to be, um, ugly.
    When you do the CC are restricting the objects you CC? Try to keep it
    as minimal as possible. If I get some time over the weekend I will see
    what I can do. No promises though as it is already pretty booked. :)
    If I do get the time then I will send you the options xml and the steps
    I used to recreate.

    Thanks,

    Craig Boyd

    David Kerr wrote:
    Is there a default/standard (free) schema diff tool that's in use in
    the community?

    I'd like to be able to quickly identify new columns, data changes,
    new indexes, etc between 2 schema versions.

    (and then create an alter script for the original)

    We're using ERWin as our modeling tool, but it's diff's stink.

    Thanks

    Dave
  • David Kerr at Aug 21, 2009 at 7:30 pm