I really have a serious problem with this. I hope you could
give me some insights on how to possibly solve this problem. I have
installed a new copy of postgres in my PC using Windows XP OS and I have copy the data folder in my previous installation from the
other PC, my problem is that I cannot access the records that I have
copied from the other PC.

An error message pops up saying "Cache lookup failed for relation 16410".
What does this mean?

Please help. I will really appreciate if you could give me some ideas with this.
Thanks in advance and God bless.Pls

Roseller Romanos
STI-Pagadian
Gillamac Building, Pagadian City
Office Nos: (062) 2144-785
Home Nos: (062) 2144-695
Mobile Nos: 09205302636

Search Discussions

  • Pavel Stehule at Jul 4, 2009 at 4:40 am

    I really have a serious problem with this.  I hope you could give me some
    insights on how to possibly solve this problem. I have installed a new copy
    of postgres in my PC using Windows XP OS and I have copy the data folder in
    my previous installation from the other PC, my problem is that I cannot
    access the records that I have copied from the other PC.
    you cannot copy postgres data files from one computer to second.
    PostgreSQL is not MySQL. Use pg_dump instead or copy statement.

    1. on PC1

    pg_dump -t yourtable yourdatabase > yourtable.sql

    2. copy yourtable.sql file from PC1 to PC2

    3. on PC2

    psql yourdatabase < yourtable.sql

    An error message pops up saying "Cache lookup failed for relation 16410".
    What does this mean?
    your data file is not compatible with data dictionary.

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/backup.html

    regards
    Pavel Stehule

    Please help. I will really appreciate if you could give me some ideas with
    this.
    Thanks in advance and God bless.Pls

    Roseller Romanos
    STI-Pagadian
    Gillamac Building, Pagadian City
    Office Nos: (062) 2144-785
    Home Nos: (062) 2144-695
    Mobile Nos: 09205302636
  • Scott Marlowe at Jul 4, 2009 at 6:06 am

    I really have a serious problem with this.  I hope you could give me some
    insights on how to possibly solve this problem. I have installed a new copy
    of postgres in my PC using Windows XP OS and I have copy the data folder in
    my previous installation from the other PC, my problem is that I cannot
    access the records that I have copied from the other PC.
    you cannot copy postgres data files from one computer to second.
    PostgreSQL is not MySQL. Use pg_dump instead or copy statement.
    Well, strictly speaking, if they're from the same architecture, with
    the same compile time options and the same major version of pgsql*
    then you can. But you need to shut down the source and destination
    servers while doing it.

    * Note that in pgsql the first TWO numbers denote a major version, so
    8.1 and 8.2 are NOT the same major version.
  • Pavel Stehule at Jul 4, 2009 at 6:12 am

    I really have a serious problem with this.  I hope you could give me some
    insights on how to possibly solve this problem. I have installed a new copy
    of postgres in my PC using Windows XP OS and I have copy the data folder in
    my previous installation from the other PC, my problem is that I cannot
    access the records that I have copied from the other PC.
    you cannot copy postgres data files from one computer to second.
    PostgreSQL is not MySQL. Use pg_dump instead or copy statement.
    Well, strictly speaking, if they're from the same architecture, with
    the same compile time options and the same major version of pgsql*
    then you can.  But you need to shut down the source and destination
    servers while doing it.
    and all your DDL operation are same and executed in same order too

    * Note that in pgsql the first TWO numbers denote a major version, so
    8.1 and 8.2 are NOT the same major version.
  • Scott Marlowe at Jul 4, 2009 at 6:13 am

    I really have a serious problem with this.  I hope you could give me some
    insights on how to possibly solve this problem. I have installed a new copy
    of postgres in my PC using Windows XP OS and I have copy the data folder in
    my previous installation from the other PC, my problem is that I cannot
    access the records that I have copied from the other PC.
    you cannot copy postgres data files from one computer to second.
    PostgreSQL is not MySQL. Use pg_dump instead or copy statement.
    Well, strictly speaking, if they're from the same architecture, with
    the same compile time options and the same major version of pgsql*
    then you can.  But you need to shut down the source and destination
    servers while doing it.
    and all your DDL operation are same and executed in same order too
    I'm not sure what you mean. If you shut down both db instances, and
    copy the files over, there's no DDL involved really.
  • Pavel Stehule at Jul 4, 2009 at 6:22 am

[...]
    When you copy all files, then ok. But when you copy only one data
    file, then you have a problem.

    Problem should be different oid of pg_class table

    Pavel
  • Scott Marlowe at Jul 4, 2009 at 6:27 am

[...]

    Definitely, all files, and blow away the destination first. The OP
    had said he copied the data directory, which should be more than
    enough, but if they left old files in place I'm not so sure.
  • Scott Marlowe at Jul 4, 2009 at 6:27 am

    I really have a serious problem with this.  I hope you could give me some
    insights on how to possibly solve this problem. I have installed a new copy
    of postgres in my PC using Windows XP OS and I have copy the data folder in
    my previous installation from the other PC, my problem is that I cannot
    access the records that I have copied from the other PC.

    An error message pops up saying "Cache lookup failed for relation 16410".
    What does this mean?

    Please help. I will really appreciate if you could give me some ideas with
    this.
    Note that this could be a permissions problem. All the files need to
    belong to whatever user postgres runs as.
  • Justin at Jul 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm