Relatively simple question that I hope doesn't start too much "Flame".

I have recently had the opportunity to reformat my macbook hard drive,
many thanks to suggestions from the actual Apple support team. That's
not why I'm writing to the postgres group... But it's related.

I have a fresh slate from which to build my development platform!!

I can get postgresql installed in three flavors:
EnterpriseDB has a dmg package for Mac.
macports has their own package.
fink also has their own package.

I was using macports but got into a cluster-F on versions and multiple
installs. After a spell I had all four versions 8.0 - 8.3 installed in
order to use postgres, ruby, perl, and rails together.

I'm interesting in knowing if this can be avoided by selecting one of
the alternative sources of installation. Any experiences with
differences in installation and long term management from these sources?

I'm more accustomed to using Linux for PostgreSQL, but in this situation
Linux probably won't be my development arena but test/prod. In the
Linux environment I've had great success in getting migrations,
upgrades, and languages to play well with PostgreSQL without the multi
version issue.

Many thanks in advance for all your input!

Tom

Search Discussions

  • Steve Atkins at Oct 28, 2008 at 11:04 pm

    Relatively simple question that I hope doesn't start too much "Flame".

    I have recently had the opportunity to reformat my macbook hard
    drive, many thanks to suggestions from the actual Apple support
    team. That's not why I'm writing to the postgres group... But it's
    related.

    I have a fresh slate from which to build my development platform!!

    I can get postgresql installed in three flavors:
    EnterpriseDB has a dmg package for Mac.
    macports has their own package.
    fink also has their own package.
    There's also http://www.postgresqlformac.com/ and I think one or two
    others.

    I was using macports but got into a cluster-F on versions and
    multiple installs. After a spell I had all four versions 8.0 - 8.3
    installed in order to use postgres, ruby, perl, and rails together.

    I'm interesting in knowing if this can be avoided by selecting one
    of the alternative sources of installation. Any experiences with
    differences in installation and long term management from these
    sources?

    I'm more accustomed to using Linux for PostgreSQL, but in this
    situation Linux probably won't be my development arena but test/
    prod. In the Linux environment I've had great success in getting
    migrations, upgrades, and languages to play well with PostgreSQL
    without the multi version issue.
    I usually install postgresql from source on my macbook. I'm using it
    for development, rather than production, so I don't have it starting
    automatically via launchd, just start it with pg_ctl manually when I
    need it.

    Installing from source means I can avoid the fragility of macports or
    fink, and know that I've built it in much the same way as the
    postgresql or solaris installation I'd be using for production.

    I didn't know about the EnterpriseDB dmg, though. I'll take a look at
    that.

    Cheers,
    Steve
  • Christophe at Oct 28, 2008 at 11:17 pm