Hello,

Blobs stores
large amount can you please tell me what is the limit i.e hw many kb of
data can it store ? say 4000k like that.

For suppose if a
4000kb data can be stored using blob and the data stored in blob is
3600k what about the remaining data? will it allocates all the 4000kb
data or will it allocates only 3600kb data? Like char(100) it will
allocates all 100 bytes in memory and  varchar(100) which is
variable memory?

Search Discussions

  • Albe Laurenz at Jul 10, 2008 at 5:54 am

    aravind chandu wrote:
    Blobs stores large amount can you please tell me
    what is the limit i.e hw many kb of data can it store ? say
    4000k like that.

    For suppose if a 4000kb data can be stored using
    blob and the data stored in blob is 3600k what about the
    remaining data? will it allocates all the 4000kb data or will
    it allocates only 3600kb data? Like char(100) it will
    allocates all 100 bytes in memory and varchar(100) which is
    variable memory?
    There are actually two data types that provide BLOB functionality:

    Large Objects, which can be up to 2GB in size
    (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/lo-intro.html)
    and bytea, which can be up to 1GB in size
    (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-binary.html).

    Read the documentation for the pros and cons of each.

    Both will only use (about) as much disk space as the actual object needs.

    Yours,
    Laurenz Albe

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql
postedJul 9, '08 at 7:16p
activeJul 10, '08 at 5:54a
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Aravind chandu: 1 post Albe Laurenz: 1 post