Hi, I'm evaluating different er modeling tools .. I have to support the same
logical db on postgresql and sqlserver ..

All tools I tried so far ignore the schema information .. all tables end up
living in the default schema.

What can you suggest ? thank you

PLS: reply directly as well

Best regards

Enrico Sabbadin

enrico.sabbadin@wki.it

Can you fly that thing ?

Not Yet (The Matrix)

Search Discussions

  • Scott Marlowe at May 20, 2008 at 8:17 pm
    I've played about with DIA and the transform tool I can't remember the
    name of right no that takes DIA input and creates DDL commands. not
    bad.

    But I keep coming back to a big white board... :)
    Hi, I'm evaluating different er modeling tools .. I have to support the same
    logical db on postgresql and sqlserver ..

    All tools I tried so far ignore the schema information .. all tables end up
    living in the default schema.

    What can you suggest ? thank you

    PLS: reply directly as well

    Best regards

    Enrico Sabbadin

    enrico.sabbadin@wki.it

    Can you fly that thing ?

    Not Yet (The Matrix)
  • Thomas Kellerer at May 21, 2008 at 7:01 am

    Enrico SABBADIN, 20.05.2008 15:13:
    Hi, I’m evaluating different er modeling tools .. I have to support the
    same logical db on postgresql and sqlserver ..

    All tools I tried so far ignore the schema information .. all tables end
    up living in the default schema.
    Have a look at Power*Architect it's OpenSource and free. I have played around with it a bit and it looks quite nice. You can define a schema when creating the DDL

    http://www.sqlpower.ca/page/architect

    Printing is a pain though (doesn't remember page settings, but the print out is OK)

    Regards
    Thomas
  • Roberts, Jon at May 21, 2008 at 1:10 pm
    Thanks for posting this. I had been using DB Designer 4 which has tons
    of bugs in it. Power Architect is pretty nice.

    Jon
    Hi, I'm evaluating different er modeling tools .. I have to support
    the
    same logical db on postgresql and sqlserver ..

    All tools I tried so far ignore the schema information .. all tables
    end
    up living in the default schema.
    Have a look at Power*Architect it's OpenSource and free. I have played
    around with it a bit and it looks quite nice. You can define a schema when
    creating the DDL

    http://www.sqlpower.ca/page/architect

    Printing is a pain though (doesn't remember page settings, but the print
    out is OK)

    Regards
    Thomas

  • Scott Ribe at May 23, 2008 at 7:57 pm
    I don't remember if MagicDraw supports multiple schema or not, but back when
    I was looking at CASE-type tools it was one the nicer ones that I found that
    would run on platforms other than Windows.

    --
    Scott Ribe
    scott_ribe@killerbytes.com

    Scott Ribe wrote:
    I don't remember if MagicDraw supports multiple schema or not, but back when
    I was looking at CASE-type tools it was one the nicer ones that I found that
    would run on platforms other than Windows.
    For Windows, I've been using Case Studio for several years and I've been
    very happy with it. However, the company has since been bought by Quest
    and the product name was changed to Toad Data Modeler. I have no idea
    if it's the same as or /better/worse than CS.
  • Jcvlz at May 25, 2008 at 2:48 am
    I know some of these have already been mentioned, but here's the summary I had
    stashed away. Although, I'm not sure which ones have any issues with default
    schemas. If you do find any such problems (especially with the kind GPL
    developers), I'm sure they'd appreciate any feedback.

    /** GNU-GPL **/
    OpenSystemArchitect
    http://www.codebydesign.com/
    Power*Architect
    http://code.google.com/p/power-architect/
    Druid
    http://druid.sourceforge.net/
    ERW
    http://erw.dsi.unimi.it/
    Dia
    http://live.gnome.org/Dia
    XML to DDL (python scripts)
    http://xml2ddl.berlios.de/
    Graphiz - I believe I've read of people using it to reverse engineer from DDL
    http://graphviz.org/

    /** Multiple versions/licenses (each has a "free" and a "not-free" version) **/
    DBVisualizer
    http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/
    Toad
    http://www.toadsoft.com/

    /** Not-free **/
    Microsoft Visio - (If you already have it, it does work quite well)
    DataStudio - 30 day trial
    http://www.aquafold.com
    DBWrench - 30 day trial
    http://www.dbwrench.com/
  • Thomas Kellerer at May 25, 2008 at 7:58 am