Hello - I can't get tsearch2 running in a long-functioning instance of
PostgreSQL 8.1.9 on Fedora Core 5, and could use some help.

When I place the tsearch2 source files under the contrib folder in a
standard Fedora Core 5 postgres install (/usr/share/pgsql/contrib) and run
make, I get the following

# make

Makefile:33: ../../src/Makefile.global: No such file or directory

Makefile:34: /contrib/contrib-global.mk: No such file or directory

make: *** No rule to make target `/contrib/contrib-global.mk'. Stop.

I changed the top_builddir location in Makefile from ../.. to the standard
Fedora location for the Makefile.global file (usr/lib/pgsql/pgxs), then run
make again:

# make

Makefile:33: /usr/lib/pgsql/pgxs/contrib/contrib-global.mk: No such file or
directory

make: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/lib/pgsql/pgxs/contrib/contrib-global.mk'. Stop.

I searched for 'contrib-global.mk' and it's nowhere on the system. I'm
stumped, and have spent half a day trying various things. I'd like to avoid
doing a fresh PostgreSQL install from source, with all the migration issues
that implies.

Come to find out, postgresql is installed in Fedora according to the
elaborate directory structure below, which varies from locations described
in PostgreSQL documentation, as described in:

http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000048/1338/PostgreSQL-RPM-Installatio
n-PGDG.pdf

any ideas welcome..

Fedora PostgreSQL locations:

Executables

/usr/bin

Libraries

/usr/lib

Documentation

/usr/share/doc/postgresqlx.y.z /usr/share/doc/postgresqlx.y.z/contrib

Contrib

/usr/share/pgsql/contrib

Data

/var/lib/pgsql/data

Backup area

/var/lib/pgsql/backup

Templates

/usr/share/pgsql

Procedural Languages

/usr/lib/pgsql

Development Headers

/usr/include/pgsql

Other shared data

/usr/share/pgsql

Regression tests

/usr/lib/pgsql/test/regress (in the -test package)

Executables /usr/bin

Documentation SGML

/usr/share/doc/postgresqldocsx.y.z

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Jan 14, 2008 at 12:22 am

    "Satch Jones" <satchinsb@gmail.com> writes:
    Hello - I can't get tsearch2 running in a long-functioning instance of
    PostgreSQL 8.1.9 on Fedora Core 5, and could use some help.
    Rather than trying to compile it yourself, why don't you just install
    the postgresql-contrib RPM that goes with the postgresql version you're
    using?
    When I place the tsearch2 source files under the contrib folder in a
    standard Fedora Core 5 postgres install (/usr/share/pgsql/contrib) and run
    make, I get the following
    That's not going to work --- they expect to be in a configured source
    tree.

    [ thinks... ] Actually, it looks like this would work in 8.1:
    make USE_PGXS=1 all install
    but I still wonder why you'd want to compile from source when you're
    using an RPM distribution.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql