Hello,

one of our clients is using pgsql 8.1, and recently the site crashed due
to lack of hard disk space. Upon inspection a file was found :

pgsql.broken.csc (size: > 51 GB)

I cannot find any reference to this file on pgsql site or on google.

What is this file? Is it related to PGSQL? What caused it to grow to
this size?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Environment:
OS: Redhat Linux 4
DB: pgsql 8.1
AppSrvr: Tomat 5.5.9

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Oct 30, 2007 at 4:49 pm

    M Rather writes:
    one of our clients is using pgsql 8.1, and recently the site crashed due
    to lack of hard disk space. Upon inspection a file was found :
    pgsql.broken.csc (size: > 51 GB)
    I cannot find any reference to this file on pgsql site or on google.
    What is this file? Is it related to PGSQL? What caused it to grow to
    this size?
    PG would never make a file named that.

    Did you try looking into the file to see what it contains?

    regards, tom lane
  • M Rather at Oct 30, 2007 at 5:01 pm
    Tom Lane wrote: M Rather writes: one of our clients is using
    pgsql 8.1, and recently the site crashed due to lack of hard disk space. Upon inspection a file
    was found : pgsql.broken.csc (size: > 51 GB) I cannot find any reference to this file on pgsql
    site or on google. What is this file? Is it related to PGSQL? What caused it to grow to this size?
    PG would never make a file named that. Did you try looking into the file to see what it contains?
    regards, tom lane ---------------------------(end of
    broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map
    settings I should have mentioned this in my original email.
    Unfortunately the file was deleted by the hosting service (our client had OK'd it) to bring the
    site backup immediately.

    I may have to see if some other process (valid or malicious) may have created the file.

    Thanks and Regards
    -MRather

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql