Hi everyone,

my name is Paolo Bizzarri and I am a developer of PAFlow, an document
tracking and management system for public administrations.

We use postgres as a backend, and we are experimenting some corruption
problems on openoffice files.

As our application is rather complex (it includes Zope as an
application server, OpenOffice as a document server and as a client)
we need some info on how to check that we are interacting correctly
with Postgres.

Do you have any hints on how what is useful to check/see?

We are currently using:

- PostgreSQL 7.4.8;
- pyscopg 1.1.11;
- Zope 2.7.x;
- Openoffice 2.2.

Best regards.

Paolo Bizzarri
Icube S.r.l.

Search Discussions

  • Matthew T. O'Connor at May 30, 2007 at 12:12 pm

    Paolo Bizzarri wrote:
    my name is Paolo Bizzarri and I am a developer of PAFlow, an document
    tracking and management system for public administrations.

    We use postgres as a backend, and we are experimenting some corruption
    problems on openoffice files.

    As our application is rather complex (it includes Zope as an
    application server, OpenOffice as a document server and as a client)
    we need some info on how to check that we are interacting correctly
    with Postgres.

    Do you have any hints on how what is useful to check/see?
    I think we need more information. I assume you are storing the OOo
    files in PostgreSQL? Are the documents themselves getting corrupted?
    All of them only some of them? How are you storing them etc? etc..
    We are currently using:

    - PostgreSQL 7.4.8;
    - pyscopg 1.1.11;
    - Zope 2.7.x;
    - Openoffice 2.2.
    7.4.8 is very old at this point, any reason not to be using 8.2? Or at
    least something newer?
  • Paolo Bizzarri at May 30, 2007 at 12:01 pm

    my name is Paolo Bizzarri and I am a developer of PAFlow, an document
    tracking and management system for public administrations.

    We use postgres as a backend, and we are experimenting some corruption
    problems on openoffice files.

    As our application is rather complex (it includes Zope as an
    application server, OpenOffice as a document server and as a client)
    we need some info on how to check that we are interacting correctly
    with Postgres.

    Do you have any hints on how what is useful to check/see?
    I think we need more information. I assume you are storing the OOo
    files in PostgreSQL?
    Yes. OOo files are stored as large objects inside PostgreSQL.
    Are the documents themselves getting corrupted?
    They seems to get truncated.
    All of them only some of them?
    Only some of them. There is no clear pattern on why this is happening.
    How are you storing them etc? etc..
    Can you explain me what you mean?
    We are currently using:

    - PostgreSQL 7.4.8;
    - pyscopg 1.1.11;
    - Zope 2.7.x;
    - Openoffice 2.2.
    7.4.8 is very old at this point, any reason not to be using 8.2? Or at
    least something newer?
    This is a production system, where we have a large number of users of
    a critical application.

    We have experienced bugs in pratically every piece of software we have
    used. We are using a policy of "upgrade only if needed, and only after
    you are sure that nothing is going to break".

    We are definitively going to upgrade to 7.4.17. For the moment, we are
    not considering more recent versions.

    Thank you

    Ciao

    Paolo Bizzarri