Hi,

I've compiled and installed v8.2.1 to use in conjunction with the Xythos
document management system. My problem is getting from home to first
base. I normally live in a MySql world and the first thing I do after
installing the DBMS is set the "root" or superuser password. The PDF
documentation talks about the superuser and database owner(s). How do I
define the superuser and then secure that user with a password?

Thanks,
Rob

--

Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager

Search Discussions

  • Joshua D. Drake at Jan 12, 2007 at 10:59 pm

    Rob Tanner wrote:
    Hi,

    I've compiled and installed v8.2.1 to use in conjunction with the Xythos
    document management system. My problem is getting from home to first
    base. I normally live in a MySql world and the first thing I do after
    installing the DBMS is set the "root" or superuser password. The PDF
    documentation talks about the superuser and database owner(s). How do I
    define the superuser and then secure that user with a password?
    Hail fellow user from Oregon :)

    The default superuser for PostgreSQL is going to be the linux/unix user
    that you used the command initdb with. By default when you initdb in
    PostgreSQL (when you compile from source) it will allow any unix user to
    connect. Thus you can do this:

    psql -U <postgres user> template1

    That will get you into your database (assuming it is running). Once
    there you can use CREATE ROLE and ALTER ROLE to set respective passwords.

    To get help use the following:

    \h CREATE ROLE
    \h ALTER ROLE

    Sincerely,

    Joshua D. Drake

    Thanks,
    Rob

    http://www.commandprompt.com/

  • Tom Lane at Jan 13, 2007 at 3:14 am

    Rob Tanner wrote:
    ... I normally live in a MySql world and the first thing I do after
    installing the DBMS is set the "root" or superuser password. The PDF
    documentation talks about the superuser and database owner(s). How do I
    define the superuser and then secure that user with a password?
    The default superuser for PostgreSQL is going to be the linux/unix user
    that you used the command initdb with. By default when you initdb in
    PostgreSQL (when you compile from source) it will allow any unix user to
    connect. Thus you can do this:
    IIRC, initdb has some options to set the initial password and also to
    make the initial authentication mode not be "trust". Good things to
    use if you are on a system with other users you don't trust.

    You'll want to at least skim the manual's discussion of client
    authentication pretty soon. Password-based auth is not necessarily
    the best choice.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql