I w'd like how the DB growth impacts the actual disk
space. For example, I have a table with one textfield,
char(20) and I insert 1000000 records. My DB size w'd
be approximately,
20+28(Overhead)=48*1000000=48MB. What is the actual
effect on the physical HDD. I w'd appreciate your
help.
Thanks,
Uma

http://mail.yahoo.com

Search Discussions

  • Gonzales at Jul 12, 2006 at 2:47 pm
    You should use varchar(20), which will not consume as much space as
    char(20) IF the values inserted don't, themselves take the full 20
    positions. In varchar, there will be no padding, thus saving on your disk
    space.

    For your question in particular, that depends on the block size of how PG
    allocates space on tables.
    I w'd like how the DB growth impacts the actual disk
    space. For example, I have a table with one textfield,
    char(20) and I insert 1000000 records. My DB size w'd
    be approximately,
    20+28(Overhead)=48*1000000=48MB. What is the actual
    effect on the physical HDD. I w'd appreciate your
    help.
    Thanks,
    Uma

    http://mail.yahoo.com