I am writing an application in Visual Foxpro 9 (running on Windows 2000)
but I get errors when VFP9 tries to write data to my Postgresql server
(Linux Redhat 9). I know the syntax on the insert statement is good
because I can run the statement in pgAdmin and the row is created without
problems. I searched the mailing lists and I see messages about errors
with VFP9 but I can't read them, I believe they're in Spanish.

I know there are Visual FoxPro developers on this list. Is anyone else
having problems with 9? If there are problems with VFP9 are the problems
in VFP8 as well? I am trying to build this application in the most current
version of VFP possible but it must be compatible with Postgresql.

Please reply to me as well as the list, I get the digest version.

Thank you,
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
*** ***
Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297

This e-mail message and any attachment(s) are for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential
information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from
disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the
sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of
the message as well as any attachment(s) to the original message.

Search Discussions

  • Andrus at Jan 2, 2006 at 1:03 pm
    "Is anyone else having problems with 9? "

    I use VFP 9 + Postgres 8.1 on XP + 105 version of Postgres Unicode ODBC
    driver without problems.

    Andrus.
  • Alejandro D. Burne at Jan 3, 2006 at 4:45 pm
    I am writing an application in Visual Foxpro 9 (running on Windows
    2000) but I get errors when VFP9 tries to write data to my
    Postgresql server (Linux Redhat 9). I know the syntax on the insert
    statement is good because I can run the statement in pgAdmin and the
    row is created without problems. I searched the mailing lists and I
    see messages about errors with VFP9 but I can't read them, I believe
    they're in Spanish.

    I know there are Visual FoxPro developers on this list. Is anyone
    else having problems with 9? If there are problems with VFP9 are the
    problems in VFP8 as well? I am trying to build this application in
    the most current version of VFP possible but it must be compatible
    with Postgresql.

    Please reply to me as well as the list, I get the digest version.

    Thank you,

    Hi, I'm a vfp (6.0) developer, what's wrong with vfp and postgres?
    What kind of connection sqldirect / sqlpasstrough?
    ODBC Version?

    Alejandro
    I am using Postgresql ODBC driver version 8.00.01.02
    Connection is with SQLCONNECT command, then SQLEXEC statements. I was able
    to use this ODBC driver with Visual Foxpro 7 with no problems. That is why I
    am wondering if something changed with version 9, and if the change was
    between 7 and 8 or between 8 and 9.

    *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
    *** ***
    Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297
    Ok, I can't test vfp 9 right now; but you can't connect? or you can't query?
    With "? message()" after sqlexec you can see message error. Tell us more.

    Alejandro
  • Margaretgillon at Jan 3, 2006 at 5:00 pm
[...]

    *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
    *** *** ***
    Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297

    Ok, I can't test vfp 9 right now; but you can't connect? or you can't query?
    With "? message()" after sqlexec you can see message error. Tell us more.
    Alejandro
    I can connect and I can query, what I can't do is write. In VFP7 I could
    update with no problem. Any update commands sent from VFP9 fail.
    Margaret Gillon
  • Alejandro D. Burne at Jan 3, 2006 at 5:12 pm
[...]

    Please, send message error to help. Alejandro
  • Margaretgillon at Jan 3, 2006 at 5:40 pm
    Alejandro,
    I cannot build the list of errors because I am on another project right
    now that is rush. I will trace and post the error(s) as soon as I can.
    Margaret.
  • Margaretgillon at Jan 4, 2006 at 5:16 pm
    There is an ODBC problem with Visual Foxpro 9. According to a Visual
    FoxPro maillist:

    Since VFP caches a common statement handle that it reuses, it has to call
    SQLFreeStmt(SQL_UNBIND) and SQLFreeStmt(SQL_RESET_PARAMS) to make sure the
    cached statement handle is in a cleared state before reusing it. VFP
    indeed calls these functions when all goes well, but when an error occurs
    in SQLExecuteDirect it just calls SQLCancel and then returns from
    SQLEXEC...... At least for me this is a bug in VFP, which is caused by the
    fact that it caches a common statement handle but doesn't reset it
    correctly when an error occurs.

    A thread does exist for the problem on the pgsql-odbc list under
    Subject: Re: [ODBC] Access violation C5 error on Visual FoxPro SQLEXEC()
    call after error

    *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
    *** ***
    Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297

    This e-mail message and any attachment(s) are for the sole use of the
    intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential
    information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from
    disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
    prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the
    sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of
    the message as well as any attachment(s) to the original message.
  • Andrus at Jan 4, 2006 at 8:14 pm
    Thisis fixed this in December 2005.
    Recent development snapshot does not have this problem.

    This problem occurs only when Postgres returns error and VFP application
    executes next statement i.e. in rare cases.

    Andrus.
    There is an ODBC problem with Visual Foxpro 9. According to a Visual
    FoxPro maillist:
    Since VFP caches a common statement handle that it reuses, it has to call
    SQLFreeStmt(SQL_UNBIND) and SQLFreeStmt(SQL_RESET_PARAMS) to make sure the
    cached statement handle is in a cleared state before reusing it. VFP indeed
    calls these functions when all goes well, but when an error occurs in
    SQLExecuteDirect it just calls SQLCancel and then returns from
    SQLEXEC...... At least for me this is a bug in VFP, which is caused by the
    fact that it caches a common statement handle but doesn't reset it
    correctly when an error occurs.
    A thread does exist for the problem on the pgsql-odbc list under
    call after error
  • P G at Jan 3, 2006 at 5:19 pm
    I see that one can add a new column to an existing
    table. The documentation was not clear on how
    efficient this operation would be.

    Does PostgreSQL make a copy of the entire table when
    adding a new column? Or does it simply use extra
    space in the data blocks to add the new column?

    Just $16.99/mo. or less.
    dsl.yahoo.com

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql