thanks for the info Devrim,

by the way i'm newbie, i have followed the steps in the documentation for
compiling and installation. I'm using FC4. ./cofigure completes immediately
but the gmake running for nearly the whole day. so decide to terminate. (my
system configuration is p-III, 733 with 256 MB Ram and 80GB hard disk) give
me a solution.

if i try the default installation in the FC4, the following error comes.
what should i do?

postgres
FATAL: "/var/lib/pgsql/data" is not a valid data directory
DETAIL: File "/var/lib/pgsql/data/PG _VERSION" is missing.

though i have follwed the instructions, somewher i'm missing the concept....
help me please.

regards
suresh

Search Discussions

  • Sean Davis at Sep 19, 2005 at 11:08 am

    by the way i'm newbie, i have followed the steps in the documentation for
    compiling and installation. I'm using FC4. ./cofigure completes immediately
    but the gmake running for nearly the whole day. so decide to terminate. (my
    system configuration is p-III, 733 with 256 MB Ram and 80GB hard disk) give
    me a solution.
    Did you get errors? Compiling may take a while (but a whole day does seem
    like a long time). I'm not a linux user, but I think there is an rpm of
    postgresql available.
    if i try the default installation in the FC4, the following error comes. what
    should i do?

    postgres
    FATAL: "/var/lib/pgsql/data" is not a valid data directory
    DETAIL: File "/var/lib/pgsql/data/PG
    _VERSION" is missing.
    Did you run initdb?
  • Neil Dugan at Sep 20, 2005 at 1:58 am

    by the way i'm newbie, i have followed the steps in the documentation for
    compiling and installation. I'm using FC4. ./cofigure completes
    immediately but the gmake running for nearly the whole day. so decide to
    terminate. (my system configuration is p-III, 733 with 256 MB Ram and
    80GB hard disk) give me a solution.
    Did you get errors? Compiling may take a while (but a whole day does seem
    like a long time). I'm not a linux user, but I think there is an rpm of
    postgresql available.
    if i try the default installation in the FC4, the following error comes.
    what should i do?

    postgres
    FATAL: "/var/lib/pgsql/data" is not a valid data directory
    DETAIL: File "/var/lib/pgsql/data/PG
    _VERSION" is missing.
    Did you run initdb?
    I am currently running Postgresql on an FC4 server.

    There are several RPM packages you can install depending on if you just want
    to access a databases (on another computer) or also setup the server to
    create/access a database on your computer.

    To install posgresql version 8.0.3
    # yum install postgresql
    # yum install postgresql-server

    Regards Neil
  • Suresh ramasamy at Sep 21, 2005 at 4:03 am
    hi this following words from Dinesh did worked for me. Thanks guys
    and really appreciate your help and advice.

    PG_DATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data

    regards
    suresh

grouppgsql-general @