I have been using Postgresql 7.2.4 on a Redhat 8.0 system. Prior to
putting the system into production I want to upgrade Postgresql and PHP
to the latest stable versions.

To that end I have downloaded the latest versions and compiled them. I
have saved my current databases using pg_dumpall.

Currently I have the last versions that Redhat provided for Postgresql
which is version 7.2.4.

I believe what I need to do now is shutdown the current database, remove
the RPMs installed for 7.2.4 and run the make install for 7.4.2,
rebuild/reload the databases.

Prior to doing that are there any steps that I am missing?

I will be removing the following packages from the system:

postgresql-server-7.2.4-5.80
postgresql-docs-7.2.4-5.80
postgresql-libs-7.2.4-5.80
postgresql-tcl-7.2.4-5.80
postgresql-7.2.4-5.80
postgresql-tk-7.2.4-5.80
postgresql-odbc-7.2.4-5.80
postgresql-devel-7.2.4-5.80
postgresql-perl-7.2.4-5.80

I built the 7.4.2 version with tcl, perl, and tk support so I am
assuming that takes care of the packages listed above.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and recommendations.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer; nothing is more difficult
than to understand him.
- Fyodor Dostoevski

Search Discussions

  • Scot L. Harris at Jun 14, 2004 at 5:21 pm
    I succeeded in installing Postgresql 7.4.2 pretty much as I had planned
    it below. I found that I had to edit the old startup script for the new
    version and add the path to the man.conf file for the new man pages.

    Previously I had used a utility called pgaccess for some things. I
    pulled the latest version of pgaccess that I could find but it does not
    work with the latest database.

    The latest version appears to have caused problems with the database. I
    restored my backup and everything is working again.

    Does anyone know if pgaccess is still maintained? The web site
    http://www.pgaccess.org does not appear to exist anymore.

    Are there other similar utilities available and currently maintained?

    And thanks to all those that responded with suggestions and pointers
    regarding the upgrade process from 7.2.4 to 7.4.2.

[...]

    Be cheerful while you are alive.
    -- Phathotep, 24th Century B.C.
  • Richard Huxton at Jun 15, 2004 at 5:45 pm

    Scot L. Harris wrote:
    I succeeded in installing Postgresql 7.4.2 pretty much as I had planned
    it below. I found that I had to edit the old startup script for the new
    version and add the path to the man.conf file for the new man pages.

    Previously I had used a utility called pgaccess for some things. I
    pulled the latest version of pgaccess that I could find but it does not
    work with the latest database.
    I like pgadmin: http://www.pgadmin.org/
    Works on Win/Linux and I believe they're working on a Mac version. Nice
    bit of work - lets you view/modify all your schema (and data if you want).

    --
    Richard Huxton
    Archonet Ltd

    I succeeded in installing Postgresql 7.4.2 pretty much as I had planned
    it below. I found that I had to edit the old startup script for the new
    version and add the path to the man.conf file for the new man pages.

    Previously I had used a utility called pgaccess for some things. I
    pulled the latest version of pgaccess that I could find but it does not
    work with the latest database.
    I like pgadmin: http://www.pgadmin.org/
    Works on Win/Linux and I believe they're working on a Mac version. Nice
    bit of work - lets you view/modify all your schema (and data if you want).
    Thanks for the reply.

    I will take a look at pgadmin.

    Is the pgaccess project deprecated?

    --
    Scot L. Harris
    webid@cfl.rr.com

    An apple a day makes 365 apples a year.
  • Scot L. Harris at Jun 17, 2004 at 6:39 pm

    Works on Win/Linux and I believe they're working on a Mac version. Nice
    bit of work - lets you view/modify all your schema (and data if you want).
    Richard, thanks for the recommendation.

    Finally managed to get pgadmin built from source on my system and
    connect to my database with it.

    Looks very nice.

    --
    Scot L. Harris
    webid@cfl.rr.com

    If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will.

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql
postedJun 11, '04 at 5:20p
activeJun 17, '04 at 6:39p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Scot L. Harris: 4 posts Richard Huxton: 1 post