Hello,

Finally the server administrator agreed to upgrade to 7.2.4... the
problem is now that the old databases doesn't load, complaining about
wrong encoding. Unfortunatly, I didn't dump the database before the
upgrade, so now I can't find a way to restore it. (It doesn't contain
any important data more than a couple of test rows, and I have a script
to create the structure, so it's not a very big deal, but anyway...)

Furthermore, I found that the tab completion and arrow keys doesn't
seem to be on in the psql prompt. Is there a switch or something for
that? Read in the docs that it usually is turned on by default.

Erik

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer

Search Discussions

  • Erik Ronström at May 8, 2003 at 11:51 am

    Furthermore, I found that the tab completion and arrow keys doesn't
    seem to be on in the psql prompt. Is there a switch or something for
    that? Read in the docs that it usually is turned on by default.
    OK, found out myself that the header files for readline is missing, so
    I'll probably have to recompile psql.

    Sorry to bother you...

    Erik

    Yahoo! Plus
    For a better Internet experience
    http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer
  • Martijn van Oosterhout at May 8, 2003 at 12:01 pm

    Finally the server administrator agreed to upgrade to 7.2.4... the
    problem is now that the old databases doesn't load, complaining about
    wrong encoding. Unfortunatly, I didn't dump the database before the
    upgrade, so now I can't find a way to restore it. (It doesn't contain
    any important data more than a couple of test rows, and I have a script
    to create the structure, so it's not a very big deal, but anyway...)
    Hmm, going from 7.2.1 to 7.2.4 doesn't require a dump and restore, it should
    just read the same files.
    Furthermore, I found that the tab completion and arrow keys doesn't
    seem to be on in the psql prompt. Is there a switch or something for
    that? Read in the docs that it usually is turned on by default.
    You didn't have readline-devel install when you ran configure.

    --
    Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> http://svana.org/kleptog/
    "the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or

    Hmm, going from 7.2.1 to 7.2.4 doesn't require a dump and restore, it
    should just read the same files.
    Found out that was a multibyte encoding error:

    psql: FATAL 1: database was initialized with MULTIBYTE encoding 7,
    but the backend was compiled without multibyte support.
    looks like you need to initdb or recompile.

    Looks like I have to recompile. But which encoding is #7? Is it LATIN0?
    And am I supposed to run ./configure with just one --enable-multibyte,
    or can i enable several multibyte encodings?

    Erik

    Yahoo! Plus
    For a better Internet experience
    http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer
  • Tom Lane at May 8, 2003 at 2:45 pm

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Erik=20Ronstr=F6m?= <kvarken@yahoo.com> writes:
    And am I supposed to run ./configure with just one --enable-multibyte
    Just that. You don't pick a particular encoding at configure time.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql
postedMay 8, '03 at 11:06a