Hi,

I know that for many people, file size is not much of an issue,
but for many others I suspect it is. Whether that is for reasons
of storage space on smaller drives, like on current laptops, or
older machines. Plus, it can cut down on bandwidth usage. And if
that's not enough reason, then how about simply because there is
a better, more efficient way to compress than Gzip ?

Therefore, I think it would be nice to have PostgreSQL downloads
available compressed with bzip2 instead of gzip. Starting with
version 7.3.3 perhaps ?

Cheers,
Joel

Search Discussions

  • Daniel R. Anderson at Mar 20, 2003 at 12:50 pm
    <snip>
    I know that for many people, file size is not much of an issue,
    but for many others I suspect it is. Whether that is for reasons
    of storage space on smaller drives, like on current laptops, or
    older machines.
    Point of Information:

    Improved compression efficiency does not help people with small drives.
    Case in point: imagine sometime in the future a "supertarball" algorithm
    is discovered. This wondrous new algorithm compresses terabytes of data
    into a single bit. (Don't ask how -- the deranged computer scientist
    who discovered it, went crazy doing so. You might be next!)

    So Joe User boots up his trusty 386 with a 500MB hard drive, and dials
    into AOL with a 9600 baud modem. He grabs postgresql-7.3.3.SUPERTARBALL
    off the 'net, and types into his console (since he doesn't have enough
    processing power to run a modern version of windows):

    $ supertarball -xvf postgresql-7.3.3.SUPERTARBALL

    And Joe User runs out of disk space.

    Moral of the Story:

    A smaller file to download (via better compression) only decreases the
    time it takes to download.

    :-D

    --
    Daniel R. Anderson
    Great Lakes Industries, Inc.

    "Never let your schooling interfere with your education"
    -- Mark Twain
  • Greg Sabino Mullane at Mar 20, 2003 at 3:39 pm

    Moral of the Story:

    A smaller file to download (via better compression) only decreases the
    time it takes to download.
    I think the real argument in favor of providing a bz2 alternative to gz
    *is* the time to download. Loading a Postgres tarball over a dialup line
    is much faster with bz2 rather than gz. This has been covered on the list
    before: I recall that most everyone agreed it was a good idea, but nobody
    on the website appeared ready to follow through with it and actually
    set up the bz2 files.

    - --
    Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
    PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200303201036
  • Dennis Gearon at Mar 20, 2003 at 4:19 pm
    How about both, until the tools become more readily availabe or bzip is
    built into Winzip. With windows versoin 'around the corner' it will be
    imiportant for the ease of installation for the usual windows joe to not
    have to hunt around the web for a command line only version of bzip and
    not use a gui (current situation for bzip).

    Joel Rodrigues wrote:
    Hi,

    I know that for many people, file size is not much of an issue, but for
    many others I suspect it is. Whether that is for reasons of storage
    space on smaller drives, like on current laptops, or older machines.
    Plus, it can cut down on bandwidth usage. And if that's not enough
    reason, then how about simply because there is a better, more efficient
    way to compress than Gzip ?

    Therefore, I think it would be nice to have PostgreSQL downloads
    available compressed with bzip2 instead of gzip. Starting with version
    7.3.3 perhaps ?

    Cheers,
    Joel

grouppgsql-general @