Howdy:

Have a development machine running Postgres 7.1.3 on Mandrake Linux 8.0,
kernel 2.4.16. Special note: This is running on a raid array (software) with
reiserfs. The filesystem size is about 160 gig of space and 1.5 gig of
memory.

I am concerned that there is a file size problem on Linux although I
am not sure how to prove that THAT problem exist.

I have a table that is created in Postgres which is about 3 gig in size.
I would like to do a vacuum and index table, but I get errors:

[errors - vacuum]

bcn=> vacuum verbose analyze db2_cn1pmemb;
NOTICE: --Relation db2_cn1pmemb--
NOTICE: Pages 64428: Changed 64428, reaped 0, Empty 0, New 0; Tup 1739546:
Vac 0, Keep/VTL 0/0, Crash 0, UnUsed 0, MinLen 286, MaxLen 295; Re-using:
Free/Avail. Space 0/0; EndEmpty/Avail. Pages 0/0. CPU 17.58s/0.57u sec.
NOTICE: Analyzing...
ERROR: MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size 1163152965

[/errors - vacuum]

[error - index]
bcn=> create index db2_cn1pmemb_i on db2_cn1pmemb (c_contract_num,
c_mbr_num);
before or while processing the request.

[/error - index]

I don't know much, but as I'm looking at the serverlog, I see:

[serverlog error]

The Data Base System is starting up
/usr/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: handling writing 5
DEBUG: redo starts at (46, 1232599204)
DEBUG: ReadRecord: record with zero len at (46, 1232673968)
DEBUG: redo done at (46, 1232665696)
DEBUG: database system is in production state
DEBUG: proc_exit(0)
DEBUG: shmem_exit(0)
DEBUG: exit(0)
/usr/bin/postmaster: reaping dead processes...

[/serverlog error]

Now - the reason I suggested that it could be a file size problem
is that all files less than about 2 gig (just a tad more) works
without a problem.

I've been trying to read and see if it's a Large File Summit problem,
but (groups.google.com seems to think that this problem no longer
exists on a Intel box running Linux) can not find any documentation
that says if it is or isn't. The best the NG can suggest is
'try ulimit -f to see'. The return of that command is 'unlimited'.

Has anyone seen if it is a problem with the OS or with the way
Postgres handles large files (or, if I should compile it again
with some new options).

Any suggestions or documentation appreciated.

Thanks!

-X

Search Discussions

  • Johnson, Shaunn at Mar 25, 2002 at 9:14 pm
    --I think you've answered at least 1/2 of my question,
    Andrew.

    --I'd like to figure out if Postgres reaches a point where
    it will no longer index or vacuum a table based on its size (your answer
    tells me 'No' - it will continue until it is done, splitting each
    table on 1Gig increments).

    --And if THAT is true, then why am I getting failures when
    I'm vacuuming or indexing a table just after reaching 2 Gig?

    --And if it's an OS (or any other) problem, how can I factor
    out Postgres?

    --Thanks!

    -X

    [snip]

    Has anyone seen if it is a problem with the OS or with the way
    Postgres handles large files (or, if I should compile it again
    with some new options).

    What do you mean "postgres handles large files"? The filesize
    problem isn't related to the size of your table, because postgres
    splits files at 1 Gig.
    If it's an output problem, you could see something, but you said you
    were vacuuming.

    [snip]

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql