All,

I have 100 PostgreSQL 9.1 posters for promoting the new database
version. I'd like to know where these should go. What conferences are
coming up in the next 3 months which could distributed them to good effect?

What I see is:

Open Source Bridge (June, USA): no booth, so not much opporunity to use
posters. Might give a couple away at PostgreSQL talks.

CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.

OSCON (July, USA): pgDay. PostgreSQL Booth. Can use posters, send some
to Portland

Then we have three more:

Postgres Open (September, USA)
Postgres West (September, USA)
pg.EU (October, Amsterdam)

I think it would be fine to supply posters to any of these conferences,
but I'd like to hear from organizers involved: How many posters can you
actually use, and what would you do with them?

Note that these cost us a bit in printing costs, so I'd like some of
them to go for donations of $5 or $10.

==================

Poster Auction

We had all of the developers at the Developers meeting ... some 30 major
contributors to PostgreSQL ... sign two of the 9.1 posters. One poster
went at auction to Gavin Roy for $750 (which went to benefit the
Japanese Red Cross).

I still have the second poster. Unfortunately, I don't know any other
event which has a terrific auctioneer like Dan to get a good price for
it. It really needs to go for more than $200.

As a result, I'm thinking of putting it on Ebay or another public
auction site. That would let most of the world have a shot at acquiring
this piece of PostgreSQL history. Thoughts?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Search Discussions

  • Simon Riggs at Jun 6, 2011 at 7:07 pm

    CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.
    I'm guessing California has a postal service also?

  • Josh Berkus at Jun 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm

    CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.
    I'm guessing California has a postal service also?
    Lemme make that "no cost-effective way" to get the posters there.

    As in, it would cost more to ship them than it would for you to have new
    posters printed.

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

    CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.
    I'm guessing California has a postal service also?
    Lemme make that "no cost-effective way" to get the posters there.

    As in, it would cost more to ship them than it would for you to have new
    posters printed.
    Will you be bringing some to pgconf.eu yourself if we want them then?
    I expect postage to .nl will be similar to .uk. If so, please submit a
    talk or two :-)

    --
    Dave Page
    Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

    The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
  • Simon Riggs at Jun 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm

    CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.
    I'm guessing California has a postal service also?
    Lemme make that "no cost-effective way" to get the posters there.

    As in, it would cost more to ship them than it would for you to have new
    posters printed.
    Have them printed in the UK, by purchasing via a UK website.
    e.g. http://print24.com/uk/product/posters/

    That way, only HTML and money needs to travel. Thanks

  • Joshua D. Drake at Jun 6, 2011 at 7:46 pm

    I have 100 PostgreSQL 9.1 posters for promoting the new database
    version. I'd like to know where these should go. What conferences are
    coming up in the next 3 months which could distributed them to good effect?

    What I see is:

    Open Source Bridge (June, USA): no booth, so not much opporunity to use
    posters. Might give a couple away at PostgreSQL talks.

    CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.

    OSCON (July, USA): pgDay. PostgreSQL Booth. Can use posters, send some
    to Portland

    Then we have three more:
    PgDay Denver
    Postgres Open (September, USA)
    Postgres West (September, USA)
    pg.EU (October, Amsterdam)

    @cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579
  • Damien clochard at Jun 7, 2011 at 8:59 am

    I have 100 PostgreSQL 9.1 posters for promoting the new database
    version. I'd like to know where these should go. What conferences are
    coming up in the next 3 months which could distributed them to good
    effect?

    What I see is:

    Open Source Bridge (June, USA): no booth, so not much opporunity to use
    posters. Might give a couple away at PostgreSQL talks.

    CHAR(11) (July, Oxford): No way to get the posters there.

    OSCON (July, USA): pgDay. PostgreSQL Booth. Can use posters, send some
    to Portland

    Then we have three more:
    PgDay Denver
    + PostgreSQL Session #2 (June, Paris)

    I guess we can handle the printing ourself. Can you send us the file ?
    Postgres Open (September, USA)
    Postgres West (September, USA)
    pg.EU (October, Amsterdam)

    --
    damien clochard
    dalibo.com | dalibo.org
  • Gilberto Castillo Martínez at Jun 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm
    Hi Josh,

    We have the Tecnologia Week in November. "We can get some or the Barner
    to print?

    --
    Saludos,
    Gilberto Castillo

    As a result, I'm thinking of putting it on Ebay or another public
    auction site. That would let most of the world have a shot at acquiring
    this piece of PostgreSQL history. Thoughts?
    +1. Would be very interesting to see if we could get it to beat the one auctioned at pgCon. (Crap, I still need to send Gavin that shirt!)
    --
    Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim@nasby.net
    512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net

    Josh Berkus wrote:

    I have 100 PostgreSQL 9.1 posters for promoting the new database
    version. I'd like to know where these should go. What
    conferences are coming up in the next 3 months which could
    distributed them to good effect?
    Note that these cost us a bit in printing costs, so I'd like some
    of them to go for donations of $5 or $10.
    If someone wanted to obtain one or two by mail for such a donation
    plus mailing costs, would that be feasible? What would the total
    be, including postage (and packing materials, etc.)?

    -Kevin
  • Josh Berkus at Jun 30, 2011 at 9:39 pm

grouppgsql-advocacy @
categoriespostgresql
postedJun 6, '11 at 6:55p
activeJun 30, '11 at 9:39p