I've started to work on the same illustrated changelog as for 9.0,
trying to demo what I fell were the most important new features of 9.1.

I've started this wiki page.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/What%27s_new_in_PostgreSQL_9.1

There are a few things left, if some people want to help me...
- I'm not a native english speaker. So I think what I wrote is almost
correct english, but not that good from an advocacy point of view. This
is the one item I can't do anything about :)
- There are a few TODO lefts. Mainly:
- I didn't see how I could demo SE-Postgres. If anyone knows how it
works very well, feel free to edit it
- I didn't really follow on PGXN, so I didn't know what to demo to
give people the urge to test it
- I pointed to the wiki's SSI page for SSI's demo, as it already is
very clear. But I've got the feeling that a small detail in the examples
in SSI's page could puzzle readers: the serialization failures are
always shown at commit time of the victim transaction, when, if I
understood correctly, they occur as soon as the transaction is killed.
- Of course, if your favorite 9.1 feature isn't there, feel free to
add it :)

Cheers

Marc

Search Discussions

  • Kevin Grittner at May 23, 2011 at 1:40 pm

    Marc Cousin wrote:

    - I pointed to the wiki's SSI page for SSI's demo, as it already
    is very clear. But I've got the feeling that a small detail in the
    examples in SSI's page could puzzle readers: the serialization
    failures are always shown at commit time of the victim
    transaction, when, if I understood correctly, they occur as soon
    as the transaction is killed.
    Yeah, the serialization failures can happen at other times. I have
    a few more examples I wanted to include, which I just haven't found
    the time yet to enter. I'll make sure that at least a couple of the
    examples roll back on some statement other than COMMIT before I'm
    done.

    -Kevin
  • Josh Berkus at May 23, 2011 at 6:05 pm

    I've started to work on the same illustrated changelog as for 9.0,
    trying to demo what I fell were the most important new features of 9.1.
    Thank you so much for getting this started!

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.