-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [PERFORM] Time to put theory to the test?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 14:30:59 -0500
From: J Sisson <sisson.j@gmail.com>
To: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org <pgsql-performance@postgresql.org>

Not sure if this is the right list...but:

Disclaimer: I realize this is comparing apples to oranges. I'm not
trying to start a database flame-war. I just want to say thanks to
the PostgreSQL developers who make my life easier.

I manage thousands of databases (PostgreSQL, SQL Server, and MySQL),
and this past weekend we had a massive power surge that knocked out
two APC cabinets. Quite a few machines rebooted (and management is
taking a new look at the request for newer power cabinets heh).
Talking theory is one thing, predicting results is another...and yet
the only thing that counts is "what happens when 'worst-case-scenario'
becomes reality?"

Long story short, every single PostgreSQL machine survived the failure
with *zero* data corruption. I had a few issues with SQL Server
machines, and virtually every MySQL machine has required data cleanup
and table scans and tweaks to get it back to "production" status.

I was really impressed...you guys do amazing work. Thank you.

  • Marc Cousin at Apr 26, 2011 at 8:44 am
    I had exactly the same experience 3 years ago. Complete power failure
    (the stand-by generator took fire) in one small datacenter (around 500
    machines). We had Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, MySQL, Progress, and of
    course PostgreSQL. The only database engine that restarted with no
    operation required was PostgreSQL. There were very minimal problems with
    Oracle (typing recover on some instances), but we had quite a few
    problems with the other engines.

[...]

grouppgsql-advocacy @
categoriespostgresql
postedApr 25, '11 at 7:41p
activeApr 26, '11 at 8:44a
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Marc Cousin: 1 post Joshua D. Drake: 1 post