Hi everyone.

This year we've founded local (Czech/Slovak) PostgreSQL User Group, with
the aim to promote PostgreSQL as a powerful and reliable database
platform. We've learned that some of the local 'small companies' were
actually considering PostgreSQL, but in the end they've chosen something
else because of lack of support.

I am not aware of any local company providing consultancy in this area (I
know there's one company distributing EnterpriseDB products, but that's
not what I'm talking about). Sure, there are companies in other countries,
but none of them has a local office, which is a major drawback. And most
of these companies aim for the 'big fishes' and are not interested in
these rather small businesses.

So most of the companies would have to rely on in-house developers, or (if
the in-house developers don't know PostgreSQL) freelancers. The problem is
there's no list of freelancers who can help in case of problems, so they
usually find a single person (Pavel Stehule) and fear that's not reliable.

So we are planning to build a small directory of local freelancers who can
provide such consultancy, so that the companies know there are people who
can help them in case of problems.

I really don't want to reinvent a wheel, so I have a few questions:

- Is there a project that does this? A directory of freelancers in a
nearby area (e.g. a company located in a city needs freelancers who
work/live nearby).

- Would such project help to promote PostgreSQL in your country, or is it
a problem specific to our country? In other words, does it make sense to
build a 'global' directory or should we stick with a strictly local one?

- If you're a freelancer, would you use such project?

I know there are various sites with job offerings, but this is something
else as the companies don't need a full-time employee. The companies want
to know there is enough people who can (and are willing to) help them in
case of troubles.

I do have an idea how it should work (the basic functionality is quite
simple), and I want to find out whether to stick with a strictly local
directory or whether to think about a global one.

thanks for your ideas
Tomas

Search Discussions

  • Josh Berkus at Dec 11, 2010 at 12:20 am
    Tomas,
    This year we've founded local (Czech/Slovak) PostgreSQL User Group, with
    the aim to promote PostgreSQL as a powerful and reliable database
    platform.
    Cool! Were you aware of the Prague PostgreSQL User Group? Are you in
    touch with Pavel, Zdenek, etc.? Let us know if you want to hold an event.
    - Is there a project that does this? A directory of freelancers in a
    nearby area (e.g. a company located in a city needs freelancers who
    work/live nearby).
    Well, there's http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support.
    This app needs a lot of love, but I think it's what you should start
    with, partly since you would have data ready to go.
    - Would such project help to promote PostgreSQL in your country, or is it
    a problem specific to our country? In other words, does it make sense to
    build a 'global' directory or should we stick with a strictly local one? Global.
    - If you're a freelancer, would you use such project?
    Given the number of listings on the page above, clearly yes.

    Also, I want your domain. ;-)

    --
    -- Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

    - Is there a project that does this? A directory of freelancers in a
    nearby area (e.g. a company located in a city needs freelancers who
    work/live nearby).
    Well, there's http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support.
    This app needs a lot of love, but I think it's what you should start
    with, partly since you would have data ready to go.
    I've seen that list but that's a list of companies, not freelancers.
    Anyway it might be a nice starting point - the directory could contain
    companies and freelancers.

    The principle is that even the biggest projects usually start as very
    small ones - a tiny e-shop that evolves into a big company over time, etc.
    And those small businesses are not willing to sign a support contract with
    companies, they're usually looking for freelancers.

    One of the reasons why MySQL is so popular is that there are so many
    people claiming they know how to use it, support it etc. So the small
    businesses are confident that if something goes wrong there are people who
    can help them.

    So my idea was to do a quite simple directory of freelancers - for each
    freelancer there would be a basic description, knowledge, maybe projects
    he worked on, contact details and a address/GPS. Those interested might go
    there, enter an address and they'd immediately see what freelancers or
    companies are nearby. All that's doable in days using Google Maps API.
    - Would such project help to promote PostgreSQL in your country, or is
    it
    a problem specific to our country? In other words, does it make sense to
    build a 'global' directory or should we stick with a strictly local one?
    Global.
    OK. Actually it shouldn't be difficult to create 'local versions' from the
    global one (it's a matter of a single WHERE contition).
    - If you're a freelancer, would you use such project?
    Given the number of listings on the page above, clearly yes.
    Again, those are companies. I was talking mainly about freelancers, i.e.
    individual people who can provide consultancy and support related to
    PostgreSQL.

    Tomas
  • Josh Berkus at Dec 11, 2010 at 1:49 am

    So my idea was to do a quite simple directory of freelancers - for each
    freelancer there would be a basic description, knowledge, maybe projects
    he worked on, contact details and a address/GPS. Those interested might go
    there, enter an address and they'd immediately see what freelancers or
    companies are nearby. All that's doable in days using Google Maps API.
    Right, what I'm saying is that you'd want to build a replacement to the
    existing professional_services app, rather than a completely separate
    piece of software.

    Oh, and just because it's a PostgreSQL site ... you'd need to use
    PostGIS/Openlayers instead of Google Maps. EYODF, you know? ;-)
    Again, those are companies. I was talking mainly about freelancers, i.e.
    individual people who can provide consultancy and support related to
    PostgreSQL.
    A lot of the "companies" listed are actually a single contractor.

    --
    -- Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

    So my idea was to do a quite simple directory of freelancers - for each
    freelancer there would be a basic description, knowledge, maybe projects
    he worked on, contact details and a address/GPS. Those interested might
    go
    there, enter an address and they'd immediately see what freelancers or
    companies are nearby. All that's doable in days using Google Maps API.
    Right, what I'm saying is that you'd want to build a replacement to the
    existing professional_services app, rather than a completely separate
    piece of software.
    Hm, that makes sense, as someone who's looking for a support contact
    naturally goes to postgresql.org. On the other side, we definitely want to
    keep a 100% localized version directory.
    Oh, and just because it's a PostgreSQL site ... you'd need to use
    PostGIS/Openlayers instead of Google Maps. EYODF, you know? ;-)
    OK, and just for fun - let's use PostgreSQL 7.4, which was just reached
    EOL. ;-)

    I didn't know about Openlayers - thanks, it seems very nice (although it
    lacks some very important features - e.g. a geocoding support).
    Again, those are companies. I was talking mainly about freelancers, i.e.
    individual people who can provide consultancy and support related to
    PostgreSQL.
    A lot of the "companies" listed are actually a single contractor.
    OK, I didn't realize that.

    Tomas
  • Jean-Christophe Arnu at Dec 11, 2010 at 12:04 pm

    Oh, and just because it's a PostgreSQL site ... you'd need to use
    PostGIS/Openlayers instead of Google Maps. EYODF, you know? ;-)
    OK, and just for fun - let's use PostgreSQL 7.4, which was just reached
    EOL. ;-)

    I didn't know about Openlayers - thanks, it seems very nice (although it
    lacks some very important features - e.g. a geocoding support).
    Hi,
    maybe an interesting thing is to use OpenLayers + OpenStreeMap (maps) +
    PostGis for professional adresses :)

    Regards

    --
    Jean-Christophe Arnu
  • Tomas Vondra at Dec 11, 2010 at 1:36 pm

    Oh, and just because it's a PostgreSQL site ... you'd need to use
    PostGIS/Openlayers instead of Google Maps. EYODF, you know? ;-)
    OK, and just for fun - let's use PostgreSQL 7.4, which was just reached
    EOL. ;-)

    I didn't know about Openlayers - thanks, it seems very nice (although it
    lacks some very important features - e.g. a geocoding support).
    Hi,
    maybe an interesting thing is to use OpenLayers + OpenStreeMap (maps) +
    PostGis for professional adresses :)
    Nice, OSM actually have even some geocoding support.

    The reason why I want to use Google Maps is that I know it well so I'm
    able to build the site within days. I have just very basic knowledge of
    PostGIS/OpenLayers/OpenStreetMap, so it would take a lot of time. And
    that's not something I want at the beginning, when it's not clear how
    useful this directory will be.

    But lets talk about the idea, not the technologies ...

    regards
    Tomas
  • Tomas Vondra at May 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm

    So my idea was to do a quite simple directory of freelancers - for each
    freelancer there would be a basic description, knowledge, maybe projects
    he worked on, contact details and a address/GPS. Those interested might go
    there, enter an address and they'd immediately see what freelancers or
    companies are nearby. All that's doable in days using Google Maps API.
    Right, what I'm saying is that you'd want to build a replacement to the
    existing professional_services app, rather than a completely separate
    piece of software.
    Hi,

    I've finally had time to work on this. I wrote a blogpost about the app
    I've built

    http://www.fuzzy.cz/en/articles/map-of-postgresql-contacts-and-events/

    and I'd like to know your opinion. The "demo" app is available here

    http://www.fuzzy.cz/pgmap/

    so you may play with it a bit. It's not "complete" but I believe it
    shows how it's supposed to work.

    Tomas
  • Josh Berkus at May 23, 2011 at 6:07 pm
    Tomas,
    I've finally had time to work on this. I wrote a blogpost about the app
    I've built

    http://www.fuzzy.cz/en/articles/map-of-postgresql-contacts-and-events/
    Pretty cool, looks like you spent a lot of time on this.

    Where's the data being stored?

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

    Josh Berkus wrote:

    I've finally had time to work on this. I wrote a blogpost about
    the app I've built
    http://www.fuzzy.cz/en/articles/map-of-postgresql-contacts-and-events/
    Pretty cool, looks like you spent a lot of time on this.
    I took it for a quick trial spin, adding the court agency I'm in as
    a company contact. The only substantive comment I have is that it
    would probably be a good idea to allow an additional line each for
    organization and address.

    On the lighter side, I noticed that Google caught me walking outside
    during my lunch break:

    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Madison,+Dane,+Wisconsin&ll=43.074684,-89.38188&spn=0.003006,0.00383&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=43.07468,-89.381742&panoid=LhJ-PFHVzxRguJ6h616mmQ&cbp=12,355.53,,0,-1.32

    The building I work in is in the background. For perspective, the
    satellite view:

    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Madison,+Dane,+Wisconsin&ll=43.07495,-89.38292&spn=0.003005,0.00383&t=h&z=18

    You gotta be careful -- you never know when you're being watched....

    -Kevin
  • Tomas Vondra at May 24, 2011 at 6:47 pm