Subject: Intermediate Database Administrator
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:06:52 -0400
From: Tim Goodaire <tgoodair@ca.afilias.info>
To: pgsql-jobs@postgresql.org

*Intermediate Database Administrator (DBA) job description (*Toronto, ON*)*

Afilias is one of the highest profile deployments of PostgreSQL& Slony
in the world, but if you're the candidate we're looking for, you already
knew that...

Main Purpose of the position:

*

To provide Technical Database Administration (DBA) services and
support for Production, Development, and Testing databases, and
for related systems

*

To provide Development DBA support for Business Applications using
these databases, and to customers and other support groups

*

To provide Data Administration and Database Research& Development
services for all of the above

Key Responsibilities:

*

Maintain Production, Development, and Test databases

*

On a rotational basis, provide 24x7 support for Production databases

*

Ensure availability of the databases in accordance with our
service level agreements

*

Ensure recoverability of the databases in accordance with our set
guidelines

*

Repair problems in the databases quickly and correctly

*

Work closely with other support groups during DBMS's software
installation and upgrades

*

Work closely with other support groups during Business Application
installation and upgrades

*

Monitor the databases' performance and tune them as necessary

*

Provide Database Analysis& Design service to developers and other
support groups

*

Offer assistance to developers in designing and tuning database
queries and procedures

*

Provide other Data Administration and Data Services as requested

Required Technical Knowledge and Skills:

*

Experience supporting production RDBMSs; PostgreSQL experience is
strongly preferred

*

Solid knowledge of SQL, and ability to transfer this knowledge to
others

*

Experience as a UNIX sysadmin and shell scripting ; AIX and LINUX
is strongly preferred

*

Experience supporting a mission-critical database environment with
24x7 support

*

Familiarity with replicated databases and replication systems;
Slony experience is strongly preferred

*

Familiarity with approaches to database backup& recovery, and
Disaster Recovery in general

*

Familiarity with additional DBMSs (other than PostgreSQL) is an asset

*

Familiarity with data storage devices is an asset

*

Programming experience is an asset

Required Non-Technical Skills:

*

Exceptionally thorough and efficient with good organisational skills

*

Excellent analytical abilities and problems solving skills

*

Self-directed and excellent ability to take initiative

*

Excellent comprehension of written technical material and ability
to quickly learn new technology

*

Excellent interpersonal skills and cooperation with others

*

Excellent ability to adapt to a constantly changing environment
with potentially conflicting priorities

*

Excellent verbal communication skills and good written
communication skills

Mental and Physical Demands:

*

Work daily on a personal computer in a standard open-plan office
environment

*

Sometimes require to concentrate under high stress and short
deadlines

*

On a rotational basis carry a mobile phone during non-regular
working hours

*

Sometimes require to work extended periods outside regular office
hours

*

Sometimes require to work from remote locations (remote offices,
home)

*

Sometimes require to travel between Toronto and other destinations
in Canada and the USA

To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to
_careers@ca.afilias.info _

--
Tim Goodaire 416-673-4126 tgoodair@ca.afilias.info
Database Team Lead, Afilias Canada Corp.

--
Tim Goodaire 416-673-4126 tgoodair@ca.afilias.info
Database Team Lead, Afilias Canada Corp.

Search Discussions

  • Tim Goodaire at Sep 16, 2010 at 1:48 pm
    This still hasn't been posted to the pgsql-jobs list. Could someone let
    me know who I should contact to get this posted to the list?

    Thanks,
    Tim
    I sent this job posting to pgsql-jobs on Friday, and it's stuck in the
    moderator queue. Could someone please release it from the queue for me?

    Thanks,
    Tim

[...]

  • Greg Smith at Sep 16, 2010 at 3:25 pm

    Tim Goodaire wrote:
    This still hasn't been posted to the pgsql-jobs list. Could someone
    let me know who I should contact to get this posted to the list?
    The pgsql-www list discusses issues with the postgresql.org web sites
    and related infrastructure; I've already forwarded your message to
    there. I would not expected the people who moderate most things read
    this list regularly.

    --
    Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
    PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support www.2ndQuadrant.us

grouppgsql-advocacy @
categoriespostgresql
postedSep 14, '10 at 7:31p
activeSep 16, '10 at 3:25p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Tim Goodaire: 2 posts Greg Smith: 1 post