I've got a meeting with a Harrisburg, Pennsylvania based non-profit to talk
about a creating a very light warehouse management system. This will be a
meeting to determine the scope of work, but initially they were asking for
an Access solution. When I get in there (and after I figure out the scale
of the project), I am anticipating offering a Postgres backend solution,
contigent on their needs and the software they are currently using.

This is a small organization that services the sight impaired and blind of
south central Pennsylvania. This particular aspect of the organization
employs the sight impaired and is a type of third party logistics. The
organization receives product, do some light assembly of sample packets,
and ship it out for a manufacturer in the area who is asking for more and
more detailed data.

If anyone has done nonprofit work with Postgres, I'd appreciate any
references/case studies/etc. to add to the credibility of Postgres to an
nonprofit organization that is currently owned by Microsoft.

Regardless, if this comes through, is there a repository for case studies,
or links to case studies, success stories, etc? I'd really like to help
advocacy, and if this works out the way I think it will, this seems like a
good way.

Thanks!

- Bret

Search Discussions

  • Roderick A. Anderson at Aug 2, 2009 at 2:55 pm

    Bret Fledderjohn wrote:
[...]

    For profit, not-for-profit is about tax accounting. I think you need an
    accounting package that handles light to medium manufacturing --
    LedgerSMB -- which uses PostgreSQL for it's database. Oh yeah, it is FOSS.

    \\||/
    Rod
    --
    Regardless, if this comes through, is there a repository for case
    studies, or links to case studies, success stories, etc? I'd really
    like to help advocacy, and if this works out the way I think it will,
    this seems like a good way.

    Thanks!

    - Bret
  • Josh Berkus at Aug 2, 2009 at 7:13 pm

    This is a small organization that services the sight impaired and blind
    of south central Pennsylvania. This particular aspect of the
    organization employs the sight impaired and is a type of third party
    logistics. The organization receives product, do some light assembly
    of sample packets, and ship it out for a manufacturer in the area who is
    asking for more and more detailed data.
    This sounds like ERP.

    Pretty much *all* of the open source ERP systems ship with PostgreSQL by
    default, and some use only PostgreSQL. Among these are:

    * xTuple
    * LedgerSMB
    * OpenBravo
    * Apache OfBiz
    * Adempiere (Compiere fork)

    I'd suggest combining one of the above with Radix or Access for ad-hoc
    querying/reports. Or just BIRT for reports.

    Unfortunately, due to not being very organized about case
    studies/references, I don't have anything offhand from the multiple
    charities which use PG.

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

    You raise some interesting ideas. The only question that I have is if/how
    once:radix fits into a possible joint solution. It may be possible but the
    problem for us is that we have quite specific requirements in the database.
    This is needed to set up the security infrastructure.

    So I don¹t know whether it is possible have it share the same database
    without some major rework. But it is certainly a proposition that deserves
    some investigation.

    I¹m happy to look at it if there is a specification.

    Rob

[...]

grouppgsql-advocacy @
categoriespostgresql
postedAug 2, '09 at 5:33a