All,

For the 8.4 release we *must* have a page which describes most of the
8.4 features in plainer English than the release notes do. I've started
writing out descriptions on the wiki page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/WhatsNew84

... but with over 200 features, there's no way I can write them all up
myself. Please dive in!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Search Discussions

  • Santiago Zarate at Jun 6, 2009 at 12:25 am
    Here are my two cents:

    on http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/WhatsNew84

    "parallel pg_restore" is under performance, in the release draft appears
    as " Parallel Restore" under "administration"... i'm not sure if this
    is for marketing pruposes :P or a mistake... (Not moved because of that
    doubt)

    "sql2008 window functions" is under " Other Developer Features " but
    also somewhat explained at top...

    "default values" for functions same case as above..

    also, made small changes on the wiki (check revision comments)

    gonna try halp a lil bit more... after work

    Josh Berkus escribió:
    All,

    For the 8.4 release we *must* have a page which describes most of the
    8.4 features in plainer English than the release notes do. I've started
    writing out descriptions on the wiki page:

    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/WhatsNew84

    ... but with over 200 features, there's no way I can write them all up
    myself. Please dive in!
  • Josh Berkus at Jun 6, 2009 at 12:40 am

    No ... I mean get a wiki account and add/edit stuff yourself.

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
    "parallel pg_restore" is under performance, in the release draft appears
    as " Parallel Restore" under "administration"... i'm not sure if this is
    for marketing pruposes :P or a mistake... (Not moved because of that doubt)
    No, the list of bullet-points which is there has a lot of duplications.
    Please remove the duplicates.
    "sql2008 window functions" is under " Other Developer Features " but
    also somewhat explained at top...
    Yeah, I want that under "SQL".
    "default values" for functions same case as above.. Same.
    also, made small changes on the wiki (check revision comments)

    gonna try halp a lil bit more... after work
    Thanks for help!

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

    others need better definintion... looking for info... but saved in case
    someone wants to improve these (under SQL)

    grouped few items taht i guess should go under procedures... but not
    moved... since i'm unsure

    Ill see what else i can do there...

    Later~

    Josh Berkus escribió:
    Santiago,
    "parallel pg_restore" is under performance, in the release draft appears
    as " Parallel Restore" under "administration"... i'm not sure if this is
    for marketing pruposes :P or a mistake... (Not moved because of that
    doubt)
    No, the list of bullet-points which is there has a lot of duplications.
    Please remove the duplicates.
    "sql2008 window functions" is under " Other Developer Features " but
    also somewhat explained at top...
    Yeah, I want that under "SQL".
    "default values" for functions same case as above.. Same.
    also, made small changes on the wiki (check revision comments)

    gonna try halp a lil bit more... after work
    Thanks for help!
  • Josh Berkus at Jun 7, 2009 at 6:51 pm
    Santiago,
    grouped few items taht i guess should go under procedures... but not
    moved... since i'm unsure
    Aha ... bit of clarification. "Procedures" is for new features for
    writing stored procedures, like the PL/pgSQL CASE statement and Default
    parameters. Per your note, I've *added* a new section, called "new
    builtin functions" for all of the useful new little functions we have.

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
    For the 8.4 release we *must* have a page which describes most of the 8.4
    features in plainer English than the release notes do.
    I'm a bit puzzled. Is there some reason the release notes should be in
    less plain English?
  • Josh Berkus at Jun 7, 2009 at 6:09 pm

    For the 8.4 release we *must* have a page which describes most of the 8.4
    features in plainer English than the release notes do.
    I'm a bit puzzled. Is there some reason the release notes should be in
    less plain English?
    Yes. The release notes are in *technical* English, which may be
    perfectly clear to you, but it's not to 99% of the world. Actually, I'd
    say that our release notes are only really comprehensible to people who
    are already familiar with the PostgreSQL code. Which is fine; they are
    release notes.

    However, we need a document which is understandible to non-programmers
    who have never used PostgreSQL before.

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

    The release notes are in *technical* English, which may be
    perfectly clear to you, but it's not to 99% of the world. Actually, I'd
    say that our release notes are only really comprehensible to people who
    are already familiar with the PostgreSQL code. Which is fine; they are
    release notes.

    However, we need a document which is understandible to non-programmers
    who have never used PostgreSQL before.
    Hmmm. Now *I'm* not being clear.

    The release notes are meant to have strong technical detail around what
    specific changes have been made to Postgres. This is necessary so that
    our contributors and users who fiddle with PostgreSQL's guts (such as
    the many people who maintain forks and tools) can know exactly what they
    need to do to support the new release.

    However, that kind of a document is not very useful for a reporter, a
    blogger, an application developer, or a regular PostgreSQL user who is
    evaluating PostgreSQL 8.4. The descriptions of changes are technical
    and hard to understand, and the organization and categories of the
    release notes are more based on history than designed for easy browsing.
    Most of all, many of the descriptions in the release notes give no
    clue what the feature is *for*.

    Therefore, we need a second document designed to be easily understood by
    the casual user or evaluator, which glosses over technical details.

    This isn't new; we did it for 8.3:
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html
    http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/features83

    This document is very important because, like 8.3, 8.4 has far too many
    features to be listed in the main press kit. And for many of our users,
    they care more about one small fix than they do for the "major" features
    of 8.4.

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.