Excuse my ignorance - I didn't understand the reference to 50-line
queries in the original version of the new flyer. I assume that no-one
thinks 50 lines of text is indicative of an especially complex query, so
what did that mean?

--
Peter Headland

Search Discussions

  • Josh Berkus at Mar 2, 2009 at 7:35 pm

    Peter Headland wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance - I didn't understand the reference to 50-line
    queries in the original version of the new flyer. I assume that no-one
    thinks 50 lines of text is indicative of an especially complex query, so
    what did that mean?
    Just *try* to run a 50-line query (with multiple subselects, etc.) on
    MySQL or SQLite.

    --Josh
  • Peter Headland at Mar 3, 2009 at 11:32 pm

    Josh Berkus wrote:
    Peter Headland wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance - I didn't understand the reference to 50-line
    queries in the original version of the new flyer. I assume that
    no-one thinks 50 lines of text is indicative of an especially complex
    query, so what did that mean?
    Just *try* to run a 50-line query (with multiple subselects, etc.) on
    MySQL or SQLite.
    Ah. I'm used to seeing queries with several hundred (long, dense, and
    unreadable) lines that run just fine on Oracle, so the "50 lines" thing
    made me wonder "if they think that's complex, maybe they can't handle
    the really heavy stuff" - IOW, the opposite of what was intended.
    Fortunately, that part is not in the final version of the document, so
    it's moot.

    I guess it's tricky to write a single document that hits all the right
    notes with both the Oracle and MySQL crowds...

    --
    Peter Headland

grouppgsql-advocacy @
categoriespostgresql
postedMar 2, '09 at 7:33p
activeMar 3, '09 at 11:32p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Peter Headland: 2 posts Josh Berkus: 1 post