All,

I've designed a new color 1-page flyer. I'm having it printed
*tommorrow*, so please forward any error corrections tonight.

I'll also have my copy-editor wife go over the text.

PDF (recommended):
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/12499/what_is_pg.pdf

OpenOffice (font is "Verdana"):
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/12500/what_is_pg.odt

I won't really have time to make any substantial changes to the design,
so if you think it's horrible, just tell me and I'll print fewer of them.

--Josh

Search Discussions

  • Josh Berkus at Feb 17, 2009 at 4:56 am
    Selena,
    I'm having trouble with the layout on open office, so it may print funny
    as-is. I'm going to play with it a bit more and try to make it better. I'll
    let you know how that goes.
    Just do "show changes" in OOo and I'll enter them into my copy.

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL
    San Francisco
  • Rob Napier at Feb 17, 2009 at 11:52 am
    Josh

    A few things I'd change.

    1. Select a more suitable typeface. I personally prefer serif faces for body
    copy, despite the current trend to using sans serif. But if you must, use
    Optima. It is the most readable of the sans serif faces for body copy.

    By the way, that is not just my opinion, the great typographer Fred Lubalin
    believed it too.

    2. Lose the -- and replace with an em dash ‹.

    3. The image looks good but should be held back to about 50% of its current
    strength to make the text more readable.

    4. The expression '-- not some company' didn't do it for me. I'd drop that.
    A lot of the people you are targeting work for some company.

    5. I think that speed, rather than performance, would be in my top 10, along
    with the sheer power of it and its advantages in transaction processing
    applications.

    There is a little nit picking in that list but at least you know I took the
    time to think about it.
    On 17/2/09 3:56 PM, "Josh Berkus" wrote:

    Selena,
    I'm having trouble with the layout on open office, so it may print funny
    as-is. I'm going to play with it a bit more and try to make it better. I'll
    let you know how that goes.
    Just do "show changes" in OOo and I'll enter them into my copy.
    Regards

    Rob Napier
    Managing Director
    once:technologies pty ltd

    46 Roseneath Street
    North Geelong VIC 3215

    phone: +613 5278 6699
    facsimile: +613 5278 6166
    mobile: +61 4344 00000
    after hours: +613 5222 6999

    homepage: www.oncetechnologies.com
  • Ned Lilly at Feb 17, 2009 at 2:11 pm

    On 2/17/2009 6:52 AM Rob Napier wrote:

    4. The expression '-- not some company' didn't do it for me. I'd drop that.
    A lot of the people you are targeting work for some company.
    Agree with Rob that this wording jumps out. Maybe:

    Our worldwide community of hundreds of contributors in dozens of countries develops, runs, promotes, and controls PostgreSQL -- no one company controls the project.

    Otherwise, I think it looks great! One minor style suggestion, since we're all designer wannabes: maybe turn off full justification in the grey boxes, leave it left-justified like the others.

    Cheers,
    Ned


    --
    Ned Lilly
    President and CEO
    xTuple
    119 West York Street
    Norfolk, VA 23510
    tel. 757.461.3022 x101
    email: ned@xtuple.com
    www.xtuple.com
  • Raymond O'Donnell at Feb 17, 2009 at 10:10 am

    On 17/02/2009 01:59, Josh Berkus wrote:

    I've designed a new color 1-page flyer. I'm having it printed
    *tommorrow*, so please forward any error corrections tonight.
    Only a very small, picky point that may not be worth fixing: in the "Top
    10 reasons..." block, increase the space between the numbers and the
    text just a little - number 10 is squished right up against the text.

    Looks good otherwise!

    Ray.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Raymond O'Donnell, Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Ireland
    rod@iol.ie
    Galway Cathedral Recitals: http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Magnus Hagander at Feb 17, 2009 at 6:01 pm

    Josh Berkus wrote:
    All,

    I've designed a new color 1-page flyer. I'm having it printed
    *tommorrow*, so please forward any error corrections tonight.

    I'll also have my copy-editor wife go over the text.

    PDF (recommended):
    http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/12499/what_is_pg.pdf

    OpenOffice (font is "Verdana"):
    http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/12500/what_is_pg.odt

    I won't really have time to make any substantial changes to the design,
    so if you think it's horrible, just tell me and I'll print fewer of them.
    I know it's late in, but it looks like a very cluttered design. It's
    also kinda hard to read with that mix of background colors. So I'd go
    for print fewer :P

    Also, shouldn't there be colons as in "PostgreSQL: The Database System"?
    It looks a bit weird to me now, but that could be non-englishism shining
    through?

    And are the boxes really supposed to be non-aligned?

    //Magnus
  • Bruce Momjian at Feb 17, 2009 at 6:04 pm

    Magnus Hagander wrote:
    Josh Berkus wrote:
    All,

    I've designed a new color 1-page flyer. I'm having it printed
    *tommorrow*, so please forward any error corrections tonight.

    I'll also have my copy-editor wife go over the text.

    PDF (recommended):
    http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/12499/what_is_pg.pdf

    OpenOffice (font is "Verdana"):
    http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/12500/what_is_pg.odt

    I won't really have time to make any substantial changes to the design,
    so if you think it's horrible, just tell me and I'll print fewer of them.
    I know it's late in, but it looks like a very cluttered design. It's
    also kinda hard to read with that mix of background colors. So I'd go
    for print fewer :P
    That was my reaction too.

    --
    Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> http://momjian.us
    EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

    + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +
  • Selena Deckelmann at Feb 17, 2009 at 6:13 pm
    Ok, so I think the mailing list has been eating my two responses :(

    Here's an updated version of the flier:

    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Image:What_is_pg(2).odt

    and pdf:

    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Image:What_is_pg(2).pdf

    Changes include:
    * Redesign of layout
    * Some wording changes (including alterations that are similar to what
    Rob/Ned recommended)
    * Heading changes
    * Removed the hackers handbook quote
    * Made background image a bit lighter so that it doesn't fight with the text
    so much.

    It's not perfect, but given the time constraints, I did what I could.

    -selena
  • Bruce Momjian at Feb 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm

    Selena Deckelmann wrote:
    Ok, so I think the mailing list has been eating my two responses :(

    Here's an updated version of the flier:

    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Image:What_is_pg(2).odt

    and pdf:

    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Image:What_is_pg(2).pdf

    Changes include:
    * Redesign of layout
    * Some wording changes (including alterations that are similar to what
    Rob/Ned recommended)
    * Heading changes
    * Removed the hackers handbook quote
    * Made background image a bit lighter so that it doesn't fight with the text
    so much.

    It's not perfect, but given the time constraints, I did what I could.
    Much better, thanks.

    --
    Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> http://momjian.us
    EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

    + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +
  • Magnus Hagander at Feb 17, 2009 at 6:20 pm

    Bruce Momjian wrote:
    Selena Deckelmann wrote:
    Ok, so I think the mailing list has been eating my two responses :(

    Here's an updated version of the flier:

    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Image:What_is_pg(2).odt

    and pdf:

    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Image:What_is_pg(2).pdf

    Changes include:
    * Redesign of layout
    * Some wording changes (including alterations that are similar to what
    Rob/Ned recommended)
    * Heading changes
    * Removed the hackers handbook quote
    * Made background image a bit lighter so that it doesn't fight with the text
    so much.

    It's not perfect, but given the time constraints, I did what I could.
    Much better, thanks.
    Agreed, this looks much nicer! Good job!

    A question for both of them though: is the elephant (in the background)
    actually the correct aspect, or is it stretched vertically?

    /Magnus
  • Joshua D. Drake at Feb 17, 2009 at 6:21 pm

    Selena Deckelmann wrote:

    Changes include:
    * Redesign of layout
    * Some wording changes (including alterations that are similar to what
    Rob/Ned recommended)
    * Heading changes
    * Removed the hackers handbook quote
    * Made background image a bit lighter so that it doesn't fight with the
    text so much.

    It's not perfect, but given the time constraints, I did what I could.
    I like it. If I were to make a suggestion it would be for the watermark
    elephant to be a bit lighter. Other than that, I think it is great.

    Joshua D. Drake


    -selena

    --
    Selena Deckelmann
    Open Source Bridge - http://www.opensourcebridge.org
    PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
    Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

    --
    PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
    Consulting, Development, Support, Training
    503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
    The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997
  • Josh Berkus at Feb 17, 2009 at 10:18 pm

    I like it. If I were to make a suggestion it would be for the watermark
    elephant to be a bit lighter. Other than that, I think it is great.
    Final version looks great in print (will upload soon). Have ordered 300
    of them for SCALE and future (along with 200 LAPUG "business cards").

    --Josh

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppgsql-advocacy @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 17, '09 at 2:00a
activeFeb 17, '09 at 10:18p
posts12
users8
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase