All,

Last month, David Fetter used Skype to link Postgres geeks in China into our
monthly SFPUG meeting for Jeff Davis' presentation. This was extremely
popular with the folks in China and they'd like to do it again.

We're looking for inexpensive video podcasting equipment to start doing video
of the SFPUG presentations. Ideally, we'd really like to stream so that
viewers abroad can ask questions over chat.

However, neither David nor I have done video streaming or podcasting before.
We'd like to find good-but-affordable equipment and some kind of free/cheap
streaming service. Not sure where to start, though. Help?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

Search Discussions

  • Guido Barosio at Feb 3, 2009 at 5:52 pm
    Josh, sfpug foks,

    For a simple-to-medium complexity piece of software consider
    Garageband, an Apple OS X solution that helps you create episodes and
    works optimal. I can imagine a few of you poring macs, so that's why I
    am suggesting this.

    You can start with a single external mic, or even your internal
    mac mic. You may then upgrade that system by using some mixing console
    (~50 bucks), enabling more mics (another 50 bucks per mic), picking up
    more than one signal (ie, big rooms, questions and answers between the
    physical audience and the guy presenting the talk) therefore improving
    the quality and experience.

    Note that the previous schema, with the correct software, also
    allows you to stream the talks through Internet (radio).

    No idea on videoconferencing.

    2 cents.

    gb.-
    On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
    All,

    Last month, David Fetter used Skype to link Postgres geeks in China into our
    monthly SFPUG meeting for Jeff Davis' presentation. This was extremely
    popular with the folks in China and they'd like to do it again.

    We're looking for inexpensive video podcasting equipment to start doing video
    of the SFPUG presentations. Ideally, we'd really like to stream so that
    viewers abroad can ask questions over chat.

    However, neither David nor I have done video streaming or podcasting before.
    We'd like to find good-but-affordable equipment and some kind of free/cheap
    streaming service. Not sure where to start, though. Help?

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL
    San Francisco

    --
    Sent via pgsql-advocacy mailing list (pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org)
    To make changes to your subscription:
    http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-advocacy
  • Joshua D. Drake at Feb 3, 2009 at 7:00 pm

    On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 09:36 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
    All,

    Last month, David Fetter used Skype to link Postgres geeks in China into our
    monthly SFPUG meeting for Jeff Davis' presentation. This was extremely
    popular with the folks in China and they'd like to do it again.

    We're looking for inexpensive video podcasting equipment to start doing video
    of the SFPUG presentations. Ideally, we'd really like to stream so that
    viewers abroad can ask questions over chat.

    However, neither David nor I have done video streaming or podcasting before.
    We'd like to find good-but-affordable equipment and some kind of free/cheap
    streaming service. Not sure where to start, though. Help?
    Yugma is pretty interesting. It allows remote desktop etc.. works on
    linux/mac and windows. There is a free and non free version.

    There is also openmeeting which is like gotomeeting but opensource and
    flash based.

    As far as "recording" your meetings nothing beats and 300 handycam with
    firewire. For linux use Kino for Mac use Imovie or whatever it is.

    PgUS is considering using Yugma Pro for a bunch of stuff.

    Joshua D. Drake


    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL
    San Francisco
    --
    PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
    Consulting, Development, Support, Training
    503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
    The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997
  • Josh Berkus at Feb 3, 2009 at 8:51 pm
    All,

    Hmmm. Most of these recommendations aren't really what I was thinking
    of. We really want a camera in the room to record the speaker and the
    slides rather than screencasting. And we'd like it to have good sound.

    So I was looking for recommendations on good-but-affordable camera,
    microphones, etc.

    As well as an orientation on *how* to do live streaming video.

    --Josh
  • Joshua D. Drake at Feb 3, 2009 at 9:04 pm

    On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 12:51 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
    All,

    Hmmm. Most of these recommendations aren't really what I was thinking
    of. We really want a camera in the room to record the speaker and the
    slides rather than screencasting. And we'd like it to have good sound.

    So I was looking for recommendations on good-but-affordable camera,
    microphones, etc.
    Oh! well PGEast/West uses a Panasonic GS90P. Seems to do the job just
    fine.

    Joshua D. Drake


    --
    PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
    Consulting, Development, Support, Training
    503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
    The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997
  • Josh Berkus at Feb 3, 2009 at 9:47 pm
    Josh,
    Oh! well PGEast/West uses a Panasonic GS90P. Seems to do the job just
    fine.
    Yes? How did you deal with mikes?

    --Josh
  • Joshua D. Drake at Feb 3, 2009 at 11:14 pm

    On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 13:01 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
    Josh,
    Oh! well PGEast/West uses a Panasonic GS90P. Seems to do the job just
    fine.
    Yes? How did you deal with mikes?
    We just recording directly to the mic on the camera. The downside is you
    will pick up the environmental noise but it wasn't bad. There are
    other's that would allow direct av in for the sound I am sure.

    Joshua D. Drake

    --Josh
    --
    PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
    Consulting, Development, Support, Training
    503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
    The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997
  • Rob Napier at Feb 4, 2009 at 1:56 am
    I use an audio-technica PRO 88W wireless mike that I bought in New York at a
    camera store. It works really well. It cost less than $100, I believe. I
    don't expect to ever need another in the next 20 years. So I figure it is a
    good investment. The batteries last about 8 hours. So if you want to go
    wireless, figure on going through some batteries or get a recharger!

    Rob
    On 4/2/09 10:14 AM, "Joshua D. Drake" wrote:
    On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 13:01 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
    Josh,
    Oh! well PGEast/West uses a Panasonic GS90P. Seems to do the job just
    fine.
    Yes? How did you deal with mikes?
    We just recording directly to the mic on the camera. The downside is you
    will pick up the environmental noise but it wasn't bad. There are
    other's that would allow direct av in for the sound I am sure.

    Joshua D. Drake

    --Josh
  • Guido Barosio at Feb 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm
    Oh.

    I recently bought a Casio Exilim Camera that comes with a "Youtube
    compatible" sticker in the front. Rocks, extremely easy.

    http://cameras.about.com/od/compactcamerareviews/gr/casioyoutube.htm

    It won't stream, but it will record your video with no headaches!

    I can certainly imagine a PostgreSQL youtube channel for advocacy purposes.

    gb.-
    On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
    All,

    Hmmm. Most of these recommendations aren't really what I was thinking of.
    We really want a camera in the room to record the speaker and the slides
    rather than screencasting. And we'd like it to have good sound.

    So I was looking for recommendations on good-but-affordable camera,
    microphones, etc.

    As well as an orientation on *how* to do live streaming video.

    --Josh

    --
    Sent via pgsql-advocacy mailing list (pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org)
    To make changes to your subscription:
    http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-advocacy
  • David Fetter at Feb 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm

    On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 06:57:05PM -0200, Guido Barosio wrote:
    Oh.

    I recently bought a Casio Exilim Camera that comes with a "Youtube
    compatible" sticker in the front. Rocks, extremely easy.

    http://cameras.about.com/od/compactcamerareviews/gr/casioyoutube.htm

    It won't stream, but it will record your video with no headaches!
    I think that's the sticking point. What made the earlier (kludged-up,
    awful) thing I did work so well was that it was live and let the folks
    in Beijing ask questions while the talk was still going.
    I can certainly imagine a PostgreSQL youtube channel for advocacy purposes.
    That would be excellent!

    Cheers,
    David.
    --
    David Fetter <david@fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
    Phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666 Yahoo!: dfetter
    Skype: davidfetter XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com

    Remember to vote!
    Consider donating to Postgres: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
  • Marc G. Fournier at Feb 4, 2009 at 2:09 am

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, David Fetter wrote:
    On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 06:57:05PM -0200, Guido Barosio wrote:
    Oh.

    I recently bought a Casio Exilim Camera that comes with a "Youtube
    compatible" sticker in the front. Rocks, extremely easy.

    http://cameras.about.com/od/compactcamerareviews/gr/casioyoutube.htm

    It won't stream, but it will record your video with no headaches!
    I think that's the sticking point. What made the earlier (kludged-up,
    awful) thing I did work so well was that it was live and let the folks
    in Beijing ask questions while the talk was still going.
    I can certainly imagine a PostgreSQL youtube channel for advocacy purposes.
    That would be excellent!
    the BSD community just got one of those for that purpose too ... could
    start getting podcasts together of the various conference talks too ...

    ----
    Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
    Email . scrappy@hub.org MSN . scrappy@hub.org
    Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664
  • Christophe at Feb 4, 2009 at 3:08 am
    I can provide all manner of camera equipment and sound goodies for
    "record now / play back later" video, and will be happy to help tape
    meetings (video production is my day job). The trick is getting the
    streaming part set up. You need:

    1. A machine that can do the on-the-fly encoding;
    2. A fast enough link to upload it in realtime;
    3. A content delivery network to push it out.

    This might be an opportunity to approach some of the CDNs to see if
    they'd be up for doing this as corporate sponsorship. I have a mate
    who works at BitGravity, and I'll approach him about it.

    -- Christophe
  • Jonathan Fuerth at Feb 5, 2009 at 5:43 pm

    On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Christophe wrote:
    I can provide all manner of camera equipment and sound goodies for "record
    now / play back later" video, and will be happy to help tape meetings (video
    production is my day job). The trick is getting the streaming part set up.
    You need:

    1. A machine that can do the on-the-fly encoding;
    2. A fast enough link to upload it in realtime;
    3. A content delivery network to push it out.

    This might be an opportunity to approach some of the CDNs to see if they'd
    be up for doing this as corporate sponsorship. I have a mate who works at
    BitGravity, and I'll approach him about it.
    I don't think anybody has mentioned ustream yet. When I was working on
    the Blinkenlights Stereoscope installation, we used ustream to
    distribute a live video feed of the building around the world. We also
    used it ourselves for monitoring, since we were in the building. It
    worked fine! The round-trip delay was maybe 3-4 seconds.

    It does require a machine that supports audio and video capture via
    Adobe Flash Player, but plug a firewire camera into pretty much any
    Mac, and you've got that taken care of.

    See http://www.ustream.tv/get-started for details.

    -Jonathan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppgsql-advocacy @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 3, '09 at 5:36p
activeFeb 5, '09 at 5:43p
posts13
users8
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase