So the linux.conf.au "miniconf" schedule was just posted, and it seems
it has an "open source database" track ... which consists on 4 MySQL
talks, and a SE-PostgreSQL talk by KaiGai-san.

http://linux.conf.au/programme/schedule/

Not that I'm going to attend, but still it's pretty disappointing.
There was supposed to be a hefty bunch o'PG guys down there, wasn't it?

  • David Fetter at Dec 31, 2008 at 1:00 pm

    So the linux.conf.au "miniconf" schedule was just posted, and it
    seems it has an "open source database" track ... which consists on 4
    MySQL talks, and a SE-PostgreSQL talk by KaiGai-san.

    http://linux.conf.au/programme/schedule/

    Not that I'm going to attend, but still it's pretty disappointing.
    There was supposed to be a hefty bunch o'PG guys down there, wasn't
    it?
    I'd be happy to go ;)

    Cheers,
    David (but I'd be even happier if some of the people nearer by would
    do it)
    Skype: davidfetter XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com

    Remember to vote!
  • Selena Deckelmann at Dec 31, 2008 at 4:30 pm

    So the linux.conf.au "miniconf" schedule was just posted, and it seems
    it has an "open source database" track ... which consists on 4 MySQL
    talks, and a SE-PostgreSQL talk by KaiGai-san.

    http://linux.conf.au/programme/schedule/

    Not that I'm going to attend, but still it's pretty disappointing.
    There was supposed to be a hefty bunch o'PG guys down there, wasn't it?
    Perhaps some folks from Catalyst or the NZ PUG can help out? Sorry to
    drop that in your lap, Brenda. Just not sure who exactly to CC.

    -selena
  • Joshua D. Drake at Dec 31, 2008 at 5:47 pm

    On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 3:34 AM, Alvaro Herrera
    So the linux.conf.au "miniconf" schedule was just posted, and it seems
    it has an "open source database" track ... which consists on 4 MySQL
    talks, and a SE-PostgreSQL talk by KaiGai-san.

    http://linux.conf.au/programme/schedule/

    Not that I'm going to attend, but still it's pretty disappointing.
    There was supposed to be a hefty bunch o'PG guys down there, wasn't it?
    Perhaps some folks from Catalyst or the NZ PUG can help out? Sorry to
    drop that in your lap, Brenda. Just not sure who exactly to CC.
    Fetter just helped set up a Melbourne PUG as I recall. It seems that
    would be the way to go. David?

    Joshua D. Drake
    -selena

    --
    Selena Deckelmann
    Open Source Bridge - http://www.opensourcebridge.org

    On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 3:34 AM, Alvaro Herrera
    So the linux.conf.au "miniconf" schedule was just posted, and it
    seems it has an "open source database" track ... which consists
    on 4 MySQL talks, and a SE-PostgreSQL talk by KaiGai-san.

    http://linux.conf.au/programme/schedule/

    Not that I'm going to attend, but still it's pretty
    disappointing. There was supposed to be a hefty bunch o'PG guys
    down there, wasn't it?
    Perhaps some folks from Catalyst or the NZ PUG can help out? Sorry
    to drop that in your lap, Brenda. Just not sure who exactly to CC.
    Fetter just helped set up a Melbourne PUG as I recall. It seems that
    would be the way to go. David?
    The trick is to find people on the ground--NZ is a whole other country
    and the closest part is several hours' flight from LCA's venue--and
    coordinate something in advance, as starting on site is just too
    chaotic.

    It looks like Devdas Bhegat will be there, too :)

    Cheers,
    David.
    Joshua D. Drake
    -selena

    --
    Selena Deckelmann
    Open Source Bridge - http://www.opensourcebridge.org
    PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
    Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily
    --
    PostgreSQL
    503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
    The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997
    Skype: davidfetter XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com

    Remember to vote!
  • Grant Allen at Jan 1, 2009 at 1:40 am

    Alvaro Herrera wrote:
    So the linux.conf.au "miniconf" schedule was just posted, and it seems
    it has an "open source database" track ... which consists on 4 MySQL
    talks, and a SE-PostgreSQL talk by KaiGai-san.

    http://linux.conf.au/programme/schedule/

    Not that I'm going to attend, but still it's pretty disappointing.
    There was supposed to be a hefty bunch o'PG guys down there, wasn't it?
    There are, and we would have been more than happy to out-flank the MySQL people, but the linux.conf.au organisers messed up. For the last 3+ months, they indicated there would be no open source db miniconf, and they pulled the entry on their site. Obviously they changed plans, but failed to communicate that well. I believe they are having difficulties in general, as the conference is usually sold out well before this point in the schedule, but they are still spamming lists with pleas/adverts for people to buy a registration package (probably a combination of downturn, and location ... Hobart is the Australian equivalent of Anchorage, Alaska).

    Ciao
    Fuzzy
    :-)

    Dazed and confused about technology for 20 years
    http://fuzzydata.wordpress.com/

grouppgsql-advocacy @
categoriespostgresql
postedDec 31, '08 at 11:34a