when I used the postgres login 'replication' as the account for streaming
replication I get the following error message:
2011-03-28 18:06:47 CEST FATAL: could not connect to the primary server:
FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for replication connection from host
"172.16.56.122", user "replication", SSL off

The corresponding pg_hba.conf entry was correct and there was no other
matching entry before that line.
# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
host replication replication 172.16.56.122/32 md5

By changing the account name - everything worked as smoth as I am used to
with postgres.

Best Regards,
Uwe

Search Discussions

  • Raghu ram at Mar 30, 2011 at 8:43 pm

    when I used the postgres login 'replication' as the account for streaming
    replication I get the following error message:
    2011-03-28 18:06:47 CEST FATAL: could not connect to the primary server:
    FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for replication connection from host
    "172.16.56.122", user "replication", SSL off

    The corresponding pg_hba.conf entry was correct and there was no other
    matching entry before that line.
    # TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
    host replication replication 172.16.56.122/32
    md5

    By changing the account name - everything worked as smoth as I am used to
    with postgres.
    The standby server must have superuser access privileges required. could you
    please check it,if the "replication" user having superuser privileges or
    not.

    --Raghu Ram

    Best Regards,
    Uwe
  • Uwe Bartels at Mar 31, 2011 at 4:38 am
    when I used the postgres login 'replication' as the account for streaming
    replication I get the following error message:
    2011-03-28 18:06:47 CEST FATAL: could not connect to the primary server:
    FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for replication connection from host
    "172.16.56.122", user "replication", SSL off

    The corresponding pg_hba.conf entry was correct and there was no other
    matching entry before that line.
    # TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
    host replication replication 172.16.56.122/32
    md5

    By changing the account name - everything worked as smoth as I am used to
    with postgres.
    The standby server must have superuser access privileges required. could
    you please check it,if the "replication" user having superuser privileges or
    not.
    yes, i gave the replication user the login+superuser rights.
    unfortunately i already deleted the account so i cannot double check.

    Uwe

    --Raghu Ram

    Best Regards,
    Uwe
  • Fujii Masao at Mar 31, 2011 at 2:54 am

    when I used the postgres login 'replication' as the account for streaming
    replication I get the following error message:
    2011-03-28 18:06:47 CEST FATAL:  could not connect to the primary server:
    FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for replication connection from host
    "172.16.56.122", user "replication", SSL off

    The corresponding pg_hba.conf entry was correct and there was no other
    matching entry before that line.
    # TYPE  DATABASE        USER            CIDR-ADDRESS            METHOD
    host    replication     replication              172.16.56.122/32        md5

    By changing the account name - everything worked as smoth as I am used to
    with postgres.
    This is a constraint of streaming replication, and listed as a TODO item.
    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/TODO#Configuration_files

    Have pg_hba.conf consider "replication" special only in the database field
    * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-10/msg00632.php

    Fujii Masao
    NTT Open Source Software Center
  • Uwe Bartels at Mar 31, 2011 at 4:45 am

[...]

    Thanks.
    And Brendan was right:
    <<

    I suspect this is going to trip a lot of people up. We could just
    document it and tell people that if they want to use 'replication' as
    a username, they'd better quote it in pg_hba.conf.

    best regards,
    Uwe

    Fujii Masao
    NTT Open Source Software Center