Hi Everybody,

I am a bit troubled by pg_dump and pg_restore.  My platform is
redhat linux, Del 64 bit hardware, running postgres 8.3.7.
I have a database named canon and I want to move a schema full of
tables from canon to a new database named musket.  The schema I
am interested in is called tsakai.  Here's what I have done:

$ env | grep PG
PGUSER=postgres
PGDATABASE=canon
PGHOST=localhost
PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
$
$ pg_dump -n tsakai > canon_tsakai.sql
$
$ echo $?

$
$ pg_restore -l canon_tsakai.sql
pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive
$
$ pg_restore -d musket canon_tsakai.sql
pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive

Can someone please tell me (1) if there is anything wrong with my invocation
of pd_dump?  (I want to generate a file pd_restore can use to feed to
musket database.)  (2) Why pg_restore wouldn't give me listing?  And (3)
why the second pg_restore command is upset?

Thank you.

Regards,

Tena sakai

Search Discussions

  • Rosser Schwarz at May 18, 2010 at 11:21 pm

    Can someone please tell me (1) if there is anything wrong with my
    invocation
    of pd_dump? (I want to generate a file pd_restore can use to feed to
    musket database.) (2) Why pg_restore wouldn't give me listing? And (3)
    why the second pg_restore command is upset?
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe -l only makes sense in
    the context of a dump created with -Fc. For SQL format dumps, I usually
    just cat or \i them into psql.

    rls

    --
    :wq
  • Samuel Stearns at May 18, 2010 at 11:25 pm

    pg_dump -n tsakai canon | psql musket

    Sam

    ________________________________
[...]

  • Scott Marlowe at May 18, 2010 at 11:26 pm
    (Please stick to plain text posts, as many readers can't read html or
    the formatting gets screwy. This is a plain text mailing list in
    general. Attachments are ok tho)
[...]

    pg_restore expects custom format from pg_dump. For plain sql files, use psql:

    psql mydb -f mysql.sql
  • Tena Sakai at May 18, 2010 at 11:45 pm
    Many thanks, Rosser, Sam, and Scott.

    Regards,

    Tena Sakai
    tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu

[...]