I'm trying to use the -j option on pg_restore while restoring a database
into PG 8.4.3.

The dump was executed on PG 8.3.7 (Windows, Server 2003) using:

pg_dump -Fc -U postgres mydb > mydb.backup

This results in a ~3.4 GB dump file.

When I try to restore I'm using:

pg_restore -d mydb -U postgres -j 4 mydb.backup

This results in an error:

pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order
not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)

The dump works fine if I omit the -j option. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Justin

Search Discussions

  • Bruce Momjian at Apr 20, 2010 at 4:19 pm

    Justin Falk wrote:
    Hi,

    I'm trying to use the -j option on pg_restore while restoring a database
    into PG 8.4.3.

    The dump was executed on PG 8.3.7 (Windows, Server 2003) using:

    pg_dump -Fc -U postgres mydb > mydb.backup

    This results in a ~3.4 GB dump file.

    When I try to restore I'm using:

    pg_restore -d mydb -U postgres -j 4 mydb.backup

    This results in an error:

    pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order
    not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)

    The dump works fine if I omit the -j option. What am I doing wrong?
    Perhaps this is fixed in 8.3.10.

    EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com
  • Tom Lane at Apr 20, 2010 at 4:20 pm

    Justin Falk writes:
    When I try to restore I'm using:
    pg_restore -d mydb -U postgres -j 4 mydb.backup
    This results in an error:
    pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order
    not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)
    There was something similar reported here:
    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2010-04/msg00237.php
    but we haven't got to the bottom of it yet. Can you create a
    self-contained test case?

    regards, tom lane
  • Bryan White at Apr 21, 2010 at 9:23 am

    There was something similar reported here:
    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2010-04/msg00237.php
    but we haven't got to the bottom of it yet.
    That issue turned out to be me not paying attention to the pg_dump
    output. There was a deadlock with another process trying to recreate
    a table. This caused the dump file to be incomplete.

    --
    Bryan White
  • Scott Mead at Apr 20, 2010 at 4:24 pm

    I'm trying to use the -j option on pg_restore while restoring a database
    into PG 8.4.3.

    The dump was executed on PG 8.3.7 (Windows, Server 2003) using:

    pg_dump -Fc -U postgres mydb > mydb.backup

    This results in a ~3.4 GB dump file.

    When I try to restore I'm using:

    pg_restore -d mydb -U postgres -j 4 mydb.backup

    This results in an error:

    pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of
    order not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)

    The dump works fine if I omit the -j option. What am I doing wrong?
    I'm pretty sure that you need to use the 8.4 version of pg_dump when you
    create the backup file, then it should work.

    --Scott
    Thanks,

    Justin
  • Tom Lane at Apr 20, 2010 at 4:46 pm