Hi folks,

I'm working on migrating our database cluster from PostgreSQL 8.1 to
8.3. I'm following the "dump and restore, then use Slony to
replicate" procedure, to minimize downtime. The problem is, the new
2.0 version of Slony-I does not support anything prior to 8.3, so I
have to install different versions of Slony-I.

My question is, is this even feasible? Or would I be better off
installing Slony-I 1.x on my 8.3 cluster, and then upgrading it after
the migration?

I ask first because I am extremely skittish about experimenting with a
production database cluster. :-)

Avi Blackmore
Head Programmer/System Administrator
Agri ImaGIS Technologies, Inc.

Search Discussions

  • Scott Marlowe at Feb 25, 2009 at 10:48 pm

    I'm working on migrating our database cluster from PostgreSQL 8.1 to 8.3.
    I'm following the "dump and restore, then use Slony to replicate"
    procedure, to minimize downtime.  The problem is, the new 2.0 version of
    Slony-I does not support anything prior to 8.3, so I have to install
    different versions of Slony-I.
    Not sure that will work. or if it does if it will work properly.
    My question is, is this even feasible?  Or would I be better off installing
    Slony-I 1.x on my 8.3 cluster, and then upgrading it after the migration?
    Ding! That's what I'd do.
    I ask first because I am extremely skittish about experimenting with a
    production database cluster.  :-)
    I'd make a backup, restore it to a test server, and start testing. I
    am pretty protective of my production servers as well. Testing is the
    only way to see your problems ahead of time.
  • Ashish Karalkar at Feb 26, 2009 at 5:11 am

    Avi Blackmore wrote:
    Hi folks,

    I'm working on migrating our database cluster from PostgreSQL 8.1 to
    8.3. I'm following the "dump and restore, then use Slony to
    replicate" procedure, to minimize downtime. The problem is, the new
    2.0 version of Slony-I does not support anything prior to 8.3, so I
    have to install different versions of Slony-I.

    My question is, is this even feasible? Or would I be better off
    installing Slony-I 1.x on my 8.3 cluster, and then upgrading it after
    the migration?

    I ask first because I am extremely skittish about experimenting with a
    production database cluster. :-)

    Avi Blackmore
    Head Programmer/System Administrator
    Agri ImaGIS Technologies, Inc.

    Yes, You should go for Slony-I 1.x, Two different version of slony on
    master and slave will not work.

    With Regards
    --Ashish

grouppgsql-admin @