I am trying to use PostgreSQL ver. 8.1.4 that comes with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5.

I cannot log into the postgres server as postgres, it gives the error
message "password authentication failed for user "postgres".

Is there a default password?

How can I start working with postgres?

Regards.

Lal Bopearatchy

Search Discussions

  • Julio Leyva at Aug 8, 2007 at 1:57 pm
    Check your pg_hba.conf file if the method is password, then create a pasword for postgres userpsql yourdbalter user postgres set password = 'pasword'if you don't want to do that, change pg_hba.conf file and modify the method to trustthen /etc/init.t/./postgresql reloadHope this will helpSubject: [ADMIN] Postgresql Login problemDate: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:54:10 +0600From: lal@apiit.lkTo: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org

    I am trying to use PostgreSQL ver. 8.1.4 that comes with Red
    Hat Enterprise Linux 5.

    I cannot log into the postgres server as postgres, it gives
    the error message “password authentication failed for user “postgres”.

    Is there a default password?

    How can I start working with postgres?

    Regards.

    Lal Bopearatchy
  • Ashish Karalkar at Aug 8, 2007 at 2:06 pm
    Have you supplied password to initdb command?
    if not there are two ways

    1) In pg_hba.conf file set athuntication method =trust instead of password. (if you want to keep trust method for all time)

    2) Do the above step then login into postgres database and the issue command

    alter role postgres password 'your password goes here'

    then again open pg_hba.con and set authuntication method to password.

    rember these changes requires server restart or relaod.
    with regards
    ashish...

    I am trying to use PostgreSQL ver. 8.1.4 that comes with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.

    I cannot log into the postgres server as postgres, it gives the error message "password authentication failed for user "postgres".

    Is there a default password?

    How can I start working with postgres?

    Regards.

    Lal Bopearatchy
  • Tom Lane at Aug 8, 2007 at 2:55 pm

    "Dr. Lal Bopearachchi" <lal@apiit.lk> writes:
    I am trying to use PostgreSQL ver. 8.1.4 that comes with Red Hat
    Enterprise Linux 5.
    I cannot log into the postgres server as postgres, it gives the error
    message "password authentication failed for user "postgres".
    Is there a default password?
    No. The default Red Hat configuration doesn't use passwords --- it is
    set up for "ident" authorization, instead. Have you changed any
    configuration files? What are the exact commands you are trying?

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-admin @
categoriespostgresql
postedAug 8, '07 at 3:12a