is there a syntax that would look something like:

create table newTable like oldTable without indexes || records ||
constraints with indexes || records || constraints

built into postgres?

Search Discussions

  • Alvaro Herrera at Oct 6, 2005 at 3:36 am

    is there a syntax that would look something like:

    create table newTable like oldTable without indexes || records ||
    constraints with indexes || records || constraints

    built into postgres?
    What do you want to do with it? If I understand what you want to do, it
    is supported as long as you use ; in place of your ||.

    --
    Alvaro Herrera Architect, http://www.EnterpriseDB.com
    "La fuerza no está en los medios físicos

    Alvaro Herrera wrote:
    is there a syntax that would look something like:

    create table newTable like oldTable without indexes || records ||
    constraints with indexes || records || constraints

    built into postgres?

    What do you want to do with it? If I understand what you want to do, it
    is supported as long as you use ; in place of your ||.

    Well, I should say that the with and without should probably be mutually
    exclusive. I don't know, haven't thought about it that much, but I find
    myself creating a lot of the same table over and over from time to time
    as I try to analyze some data. Would be nice to say, hey, create a copy
    of this table with indexes and possibly records and constraints. Or
    just a bare copy or something like that, but have a lot of different
    options for this kind of thing.

    - Dave
  • Gaetano Mendola at Oct 7, 2005 at 1:04 pm

    David Durham wrote:
    is there a syntax that would look something like:

    create table newTable like oldTable without indexes || records ||
    constraints with indexes || records || constraints

    built into postgres?
    Try this:

    create table newTable as
    select * from oldTable limit 0;