I am migrating from 7.2 -> 7.4. I can't figure out how to move the
crypt()'ed passwords I made with pg_password utility into the pg_shadow
table. All I can find in the documentation is (in 7.3 release notes)

Remove secondary password file capability and pg_password utility
(Bruce)


Any ideas besides "re-enroll your users"?

Thanks,

Michael

Search Discussions

  • Bruce Momjian at Feb 1, 2004 at 10:10 pm

    Michael Allman wrote:
    I am migrating from 7.2 -> 7.4. I can't figure out how to move the
    crypt()'ed passwords I made with pg_password utility into the pg_shadow
    table. All I can find in the documentation is (in 7.3 release notes)

    Remove secondary password file capability and pg_password utility
    (Bruce)
    If I remember correctly, you can't. We now perfer MD5, where we can
    store the information encrypted in the database, and use random salt
    over the wire.

    We cant unencrypt the crypt values so unfortunately you have to reenter
    them. You can do it using ALTER USER now.

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 359-1001
    + If your life is a hard drive, | 13 Roberts Road
    + Christ can be your backup. | Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073
  • Michael Allman at Feb 1, 2004 at 10:14 pm
    As a matter of fact, I was able to "hack" passwd file support back in.
    It wasn't too hard, but if anyone is interested in seeing the patch,
    e-mail me privately.

    Michael
    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

    Michael Allman wrote:
    I am migrating from 7.2 -> 7.4. I can't figure out how to move the
    crypt()'ed passwords I made with pg_password utility into the pg_shadow
    table. All I can find in the documentation is (in 7.3 release notes)

    Remove secondary password file capability and pg_password utility
    (Bruce)
    If I remember correctly, you can't. We now perfer MD5, where we can
    store the information encrypted in the database, and use random salt
    over the wire.

    We cant unencrypt the crypt values so unfortunately you have to reenter
    them. You can do it using ALTER USER now.

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 359-1001
    + If your life is a hard drive, | 13 Roberts Road
    + Christ can be your backup. | Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073
  • Bruce Momjian at Feb 1, 2004 at 10:16 pm

    Michael Allman wrote:
    As a matter of fact, I was able to "hack" passwd file support back in.
    It wasn't too hard, but if anyone is interested in seeing the patch,
    e-mail me privately.
    Yes, sorry I make problems for you by removing it, but that whole are
    needed an overhaul and keeping it in just added to the confusion.

    --
    Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
    pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 359-1001
    + If your life is a hard drive, | 13 Roberts Road
    + Christ can be your backup. | Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppgsql-admin @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 1, '04 at 7:07p
activeFeb 1, '04 at 10:16p
posts4
users2
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Bruce Momjian: 2 posts Michael Allman: 2 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase