Grokbase Groups Pig user April 2013
Dear all,

I am currently using HBaseStorage to load and store data between HBase
and Pig.
I have the Pig of the newest version 0.11.1.
I worked with hbase-0.90.6
But I found that HBaseStorage in pig 0.11.1 cannot be used for hbase
with version 0.94.4 or above which is used for phoenix.

The error message is found as follows.
ERROR org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt - ERROR 2998: Unhandled internal
error. com/google/protobuf/Message

Thank you in advance!
Kind Regards,
Weiping

Search Discussions

  • Prashant Kommireddi at Apr 29, 2013 at 8:25 pm
    Hi Weiping,

    Pig 0.11.1 uses hbase 0.94.1 by default. Are you using the right jars?

    I am currently using HBaseStorage to load and store data between HBase and
    Pig.
    I have the Pig of the newest version 0.11.1.
    I worked with hbase-0.90.6
    But I found that HBaseStorage in pig 0.11.1 cannot be used for hbase with
    version 0.94.4 or above which is used for phoenix.

    The error message is found as follows.
    ERROR org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.**Grunt - ERROR 2998: Unhandled internal
    error. com/google/protobuf/Message

    Thank you in advance!
    Kind Regards,
    Weiping
  • Weiping Qu at Apr 29, 2013 at 8:37 pm
    Dear Prashant,

    Firstly thank you very much for your quick reply.

    I would just like to try the new SQL layer above HBase (called Phoenix)
    which claims that it outperforms Hive.
    So far phoenix has only two releases which support Hbase 0.94.2/3 and
    0.94.4 or above, respectively.
    I had carefully included these hbase jars in pig's lib directory
    respectively for each try, but all failed. :(
    As you mentioned that HBaseStorage currently only supports 0.94.1 by
    default, then I think I should give it up now and wait for future release.

    Or just use Hive than Phoenix.

    Thank you again.
    Best,
    Weiping
    Hi Weiping,

    Pig 0.11.1 uses hbase 0.94.1 by default. Are you using the right jars?

    I am currently using HBaseStorage to load and store data between HBase and
    Pig.
    I have the Pig of the newest version 0.11.1.
    I worked with hbase-0.90.6
    But I found that HBaseStorage in pig 0.11.1 cannot be used for hbase with
    version 0.94.4 or above which is used for phoenix.

    The error message is found as follows.
    ERROR org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.**Grunt - ERROR 2998: Unhandled internal
    error. com/google/protobuf/Message

    Thank you in advance!
    Kind Regards,
    Weiping
  • Prashant Kommireddi at Apr 29, 2013 at 8:47 pm
    +James (Phoenix lead)

    AFAIK, data inserted into hbase for phoenix reads needs to be phoenix
    encoded. We wrote a StoreFunc to write data into hbase with data being
    phoenix encoded. You can give it a try
    https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix/blob/master/src/main/java/com/salesforce/phoenix/pig/PhoenixHBaseStorage.java

    Please note this is in the early phase of development, feel free to open
    issues on https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix/issues if you find any.

    Thanks,

    On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Weiping Qu <qu@informatik.uni-kl.de>
    I am currently using HBaseStorage to load and store data between HBase
    and
    Pig.
    I have the Pig of the newest version 0.11.1.
    I worked with hbase-0.90.6
    But I found that HBaseStorage in pig 0.11.1 cannot be used for hbase with
    version 0.94.4 or above which is used for phoenix.

    The error message is found as follows.
    ERROR org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.****Grunt - ERROR 2998: Unhandled
    internal

    error. com/google/protobuf/Message

    Thank you in advance!
    Kind Regards,
    Weiping

  • Weiping Qu at Apr 29, 2013 at 8:50 pm
    Oh, cool!
    Thanks for the help.
    I would like to give it a try. :)

    Thanks,
    Weiping
[...]

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedApr 29, '13 at 8:08p
activeApr 29, '13 at 8:50p
websitepig.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Weiping Qu: 3 posts Prashant Kommireddi: 2 posts