When doing an inner join on a column where some values are NULL, I get
the following error:

I can fix this by simply filtering out the NULL values in a separate
step before joining, but the current behavior doesn't sound right to me,
so I wanted to ask here before I do that. What's happening now sounds a
lot like this:
That bug was fixed on PIG 0.7, and I'm using PIG 0.8.1, so I'm trying to
decide whether I should reopen it, or whether this is something else. Ideas?

Eli

Search Discussions

  • Thejas Nair at Sep 16, 2011 at 6:07 pm
    Hi Eli,
    Can you please open a new jira as the root cause might be something
    different ?
    Can you add instructions on how to reproduce the issue ? You can link
    this jira to the PIG-1131.

    Thanks,
    Thejas

    When doing an inner join on a column where some values are NULL, I get
    the following error:

    I can fix this by simply filtering out the NULL values in a separate
    step before joining, but the current behavior doesn't sound right to me,
    so I wanted to ask here before I do that. What's happening now sounds a
    lot like this:
    That bug was fixed on PIG 0.7, and I'm using PIG 0.8.1, so I'm trying to
    decide whether I should reopen it, or whether this is something else.
    Ideas?

    Eli
  • Raghu Angadi at Sep 19, 2011 at 11:49 pm
    Do you have a FLATTEN() involved? FLATTEN(null) can cause IndexOutOfBounds
    exception. ( if that is the case, see
    http://www.mail-archive.com/user@pig.apache.org/msg02275.html )
    When doing an inner join on a column where some values are NULL, I get the
    following error:
    java.lang.**IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 1, Size: 1

    https://issues.apache.org/**jira/browse/PIG-1131<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-1131>
    That bug was fixed on PIG 0.7, and I'm using PIG 0.8.1, so I'm trying to
    decide whether I should reopen it, or whether this is something else. Ideas?

    Eli
  • Eli Finkelshteyn at Sep 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm
    Nope, just a simple inner join.
[...]

  • Raghu Angadi at Sep 20, 2011 at 4:22 pm
    Your script or a simple script that shows the problem would help.
    Do you have a FLATTEN() involved? FLATTEN(null) can cause IndexOutOfBounds
    exception. ( if that is the case, see
    http://www.mail-archive.com/**user@pig.apache.org/msg02275.**html<http://www.mail-archive.com/user@pig.apache.org/msg02275.html>)

    On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Eli Finkelshteyn<iefinkel@gmail.**com<iefinkel@gmail.com>
    wrote: Hi,
[...]