Grokbase Groups Pig user July 2011
Pig team is happy to announce Pig 0.9.0 release.

Apache Pig provides a high-level data-flow language and execution framework for parallel computation on Hadoop clusters. More details about Pig can be found at http://pig.apache.org/.

The highlights of this release are introduction of control structures, change of query parser, and semantic cleanup. The details of the release can be found at http://pig.apache.org/releases.html.

Olga

Search Discussions

  • Daniel Dai at Jul 29, 2011 at 9:02 pm
    We wrote a serial of blogs to describe the new feature of Pig 0.9.0 on
    http://www.hortonworks.com/blog/. This serial contains three blogs and will
    be published in a few days.

    Thanks
    Daniel
    On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Olga Natkovich wrote:

    Pig team is happy to announce Pig 0.9.0 release.

    Apache Pig provides a high-level data-flow language and execution framework
    for parallel computation on Hadoop clusters. More details about Pig can be
    found at http://pig.apache.org/.

    The highlights of this release are introduction of control structures,
    change of query parser, and semantic cleanup. The details of the release can
    be found at http://pig.apache.org/releases.html.

    Olga
  • Daniel Eklund at Jul 29, 2011 at 9:05 pm
    thanks guys... can't wait to try out the new release
    We wrote a serial of blogs to describe the new feature of Pig 0.9.0 on
    http://www.hortonworks.com/blog/. This serial contains three blogs and
    will
    be published in a few days.

    Thanks
    Daniel
    Pig team is happy to announce Pig 0.9.0 release.

    Apache Pig provides a high-level data-flow language and execution framework
    for parallel computation on Hadoop clusters. More details about Pig can be
    found at http://pig.apache.org/.

    The highlights of this release are introduction of control structures,
    change of query parser, and semantic cleanup. The details of the release can
    be found at http://pig.apache.org/releases.html.

    Olga
  • Jeremy Hanna at Jul 29, 2011 at 9:07 pm
    Nice work Daniel and all on the release and the blog posts! Looking forward to the other two. We'll be testing out on our stuff because of all the great features added.
    We wrote a serial of blogs to describe the new feature of Pig 0.9.0 on
    http://www.hortonworks.com/blog/. This serial contains three blogs and will
    be published in a few days.

    Thanks
    Daniel
    Pig team is happy to announce Pig 0.9.0 release.

    Apache Pig provides a high-level data-flow language and execution framework
    for parallel computation on Hadoop clusters. More details about Pig can be
    found at http://pig.apache.org/.

    The highlights of this release are introduction of control structures,
    change of query parser, and semantic cleanup. The details of the release can
    be found at http://pig.apache.org/releases.html.

    Olga
  • Dmitriy Ryaboy at Jul 29, 2011 at 9:17 pm
    Some excellent work in this release, thanks for all the hard work guys.
    The docs! The blog posts! It's a whole new Pig :).

[...]

  • Shubham Chopra at Aug 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm
    I am new to pig-0.9 and was exploring the embedding feature. I was wondering
    how is python embedding introduced in pig-0.9 different from embedded
    piglatin that could be used with java/scala? Any pointers to
    blogs/documentation about the same would be really great!

    Thanks,
    Shubham.
[...]

  • Alan Gates at Aug 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm
    Embedding in Python in 0.9 is still done via Java object. That is why we require Jython to execute the Python. The major differences are that we presented a very simple interface (compile, bind, run) that was designed with iterative and parallel execution in mind. We also made the bin/pig shell script that starts pig aware of Python so that the Python script itself can be passed to Pig. This allows Pig to do things like return proper line numbers for error messages.

    For a couple of great blogs on using the new interface, see http://www.hortonworks.com/pagerank-implementation-in-pig/ and http://www.hortonworks.com/transitive-closure-in-apache-pig/ For embedding docs see http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.9.0/cont.html For API docs on the new interface see http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.9.0/api/org/apache/pig/scripting/Pig.html

    Alan.

    On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Olga Natkovich <olgan@yahoo-inc.com>
    Pig team is happy to announce Pig 0.9.0 release.

    Apache Pig provides a high-level data-flow language and execution
    framework
    for parallel computation on Hadoop clusters. More details about Pig can
    be
    found at http://pig.apache.org/.

    The highlights of this release are introduction of control structures,
    change of query parser, and semantic cleanup. The details of the release
    can
  • Shubham Chopra at Aug 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm
    Thanks for the documentation links!
    ~Shubham.
[...]

  • Raghu Angadi at Aug 1, 2011 at 2:07 am
    great to see major user facing features. Thanks guys.

    Will we see some standard macros (e.g. rowcount()) similar to standard
    UDFs?

    Even rowcount may not be trivial for casual user to do correctly. Should
    rowcount() example in the blog should COUNT_STAR() rather than COUNT()?

    Raghu.
    We wrote a serial of blogs to describe the new feature of Pig 0.9.0 on
    http://www.hortonworks.com/blog/. This serial contains three blogs and
    will
    be published in a few days.

    Thanks
    Daniel
    Pig team is happy to announce Pig 0.9.0 release.

    Apache Pig provides a high-level data-flow language and execution framework
    for parallel computation on Hadoop clusters. More details about Pig can be
    found at http://pig.apache.org/.

    The highlights of this release are introduction of control structures,
    change of query parser, and semantic cleanup. The details of the release can
    be found at http://pig.apache.org/releases.html.

    Olga
  • Olga Natkovich at Aug 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm
    I think it is a good idea to have standard macros. I do not believe we have plans for that but feel free to contribute. We should definitely expand piggybank to include those.

    Olga

[...]

  • Daniel Dai at Aug 1, 2011 at 5:54 pm

    great to see major user facing features. Thanks guys.

    Will we see some standard macros (e.g. rowcount()) similar to standard
    UDFs?

    Even rowcount may not be trivial for casual user to do correctly. Should
    rowcount() example in the blog should COUNT_STAR() rather than COUNT()?
    Yes, thanks pointing it out. I put a note on the blog.

    Raghu.
    We wrote a serial of blogs to describe the new feature of Pig 0.9.0 on
    http://www.hortonworks.com/blog/. This serial contains three blogs and
    will
    be published in a few days.

    Thanks
    Daniel

    On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Olga Natkovich <olgan@yahoo-inc.com>
    Pig team is happy to announce Pig 0.9.0 release.

    Apache Pig provides a high-level data-flow language and execution framework
    for parallel computation on Hadoop clusters. More details about Pig can be
    found at http://pig.apache.org/.

    The highlights of this release are introduction of control structures,
    change of query parser, and semantic cleanup. The details of the
    release
  • Christopher Smith at Aug 1, 2011 at 5:55 pm
    Thanks for the pointer Daniel! I always feel like a challenge with Pig
    releases is getting a detailed description of all the changes. Doing
    diffs on the docs is not exactly an efficient approach. ;-)

    --Chris

    --
    Chris

groupuser @